Must be a Boat Thing

Like any other blog, random thoughts on random subjects. Might be interesting, or not. I probably won't be putting up much more here. I have other blogs. Only registered users can see this forum.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Must be a Boat Thing

Post by Ken G »

Once I was fishing from a boat on the Illinois River. We put in at the far end of Starved Rock. I was told that in the pool we were fishing, from whatever dam is east to whatever is west, the IDNR estimated there to be one billion white bass. So, later, when we were catching white bass, I had to hide that fact by not lifting the fish out of the water too high so other boats around us didn't see it.

Wasn't I just told there were one billion white bass in this pool?

I've heard boat anglers complain about how other fishermen will see them catching fish. The next thing you know, there they are practically bumping into them while casting around their boat. This occurs whether on rivers or lakes.

You don't run into that type of thing while wading. At least after 100's of trips and thousands of hours, I never have. Nobody ever gets that close. There are far too many miles of good river fishing to be had, so there doesn't seem to be any real reason to crowd someone out to catch that one fish. Move down a hundred yards or so, there's more fish.

I've heard rumors of river fishermen being followed, almost stalked by anglers that follow them from spot to spot both on the road and in the river.

I don't believe it. You would think after all these years of writing about fishing the Fox, and all the hours I've spent on the water, that would have happened by now. Paranoid delusions I suspect.

If it ever gets to the point where I can't wade rivers to fish, or get on some body of water to fish from a canoe, I'm done fishing. Anything else just doesn't sound all that appealing.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Dan
Asshole
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Must be a Boat Thing

Post by Dan »

Sounds about right :twisted:
bossbob50

Re: Must be a Boat Thing

Post by bossbob50 »

I've had it happen in boats. Don't know why people lose some sense of manners, but they do. Then, of course, there are the guys who, if they are in a boat and can just see you, they think you are too close. Who knows?

The only thing I've expereinced when wading is that I will be catching fish. Guys are watching me. They creep closer. Not close enough to bother me, but I know they are trying to see what I'm using. I'll leave the spot, and they will go right to it. Finally, especially if they don't catch fish, they'll ask, "Hey Buddy! Wha'cha usin'?" Heck, if they asked, I'd invite them to join me. maybe make a friend, or at least not an enemy.

Wading is best.