Aux Sable 4/17

Like any other blog, random thoughts on random subjects. Might be interesting, or not. I probably won't be putting up much more here. I have other blogs. Only registered users can see this forum.
Frank Macikas

Aux Sable 4/17

Post by Frank Macikas »

Not sure where to put this so here it is

I decided to try fishing a stretch of the Aux Sable Creek from the I&M Canal all the way down to the Illinois River instead of the Dupage. Its a great looking creek and I didn't do too bad. I ended up going 6 for 8 on the smallies and picked up a bonus white bass. All fish were around 10-12' including the white bass. The only pattern I could figure out was all fish were in or on the edge very fast rapids tight to cover or behind the boulders. Had a few different of things working today; medium roaches, rebel craw, jig and chigger craw, jig and case helgramite, and a jig and white twister tail. All in all a good day on new water.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Aux Sable 4/17

Post by Ken G »

I believe the state record rock bass has come out of that stretch. I think it's rock bass.

Always wanted to try there.

I'll save you some trouble, don't bother around Route 52. Fished it last year? The bottom is pretty much all sand and mud. Could barely find any rock/gravel. You would think it would hold at least a stray largemouth since those things are basically sewer fish, but I don't recall even getting a tap. Beautiful area around 52, but you can tell by looking at it what kind of water it is.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Frank Macikas

Re: Aux Sable 4/17

Post by Frank Macikas »

Ken G wrote:I believe the state record rock bass has come out of that stretch. I think it's rock bass.

Always wanted to try there.

I'll save you some trouble, don't bother around Route 52. Fished it last year? The bottom is pretty much all sand and mud. Could barely find any rock/gravel. You would think it would hold at least a stray largemouth since those things are basically sewer fish, but I don't recall even getting a tap. Beautiful area around 52, but you can tell by looking at it what kind of water it is.
Thats how it was the further downstream I got. The area right by the canal looks very good and thats where I picked up all fish except the white bass. I'm going to try heading upstream next time; that section also looks promising.