Slapping 'em silly

That's what this one is about. If you're planning on fishing and want company, put that here. If the fish talk you have to say doesn't fit anywhere else, that can go here too.
ThunderStick

Slapping 'em silly

Post by ThunderStick »

It looks like things are shaping up to be a banner year for ice fishing. Fishable ice by 12/11 is a welcome rarity in these parts.....hopefully we dont get one of those annoying midseason thaws that screw everything up. I've been out twice already and have done pretty well on bass, gills and crappie. One of my goals is a work in progress-to rid my pond of as many crappie as possible. One of my neighbors introduced them to the pond about 5 years ago in a mistaken belief that it was a good idea-wrong! All the data I've read about proper pond management has been very clear, crappie are detrimental to small bodies of water due to their spawning capacities. Now I have crappie in there that are getting beefy--we got a 14"er out of there last year. Anyhow, other goals are to land steelies and browns thru the ice at one of the WI harbors and to finally zero in on the walleyes at my stripmines. Here's to a long and productive ice season!!
ThunderStick aka Paul
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Slapping 'em silly

Post by Special Ed »

Hey bud, if you need a hand depleting the crappie population this winter, I am just a phone call away! ;)

Actually I am in the process of building up a meat supply to have a big New Years fish fry. Whether I fish with you or not, you are more than welcome to join the party. I will keep you and Ken in the loop.

Finances have taken their toll on the long distance ice-trips for me, so local lakes and ponds will have to suffice. I'm trying not to damage the local stuff too bad, (that means I can't catch crap) so I'm limiting my bluegill size to under 7" and crappies around 9" to 10".

I've also got a few spots in our neck of the woods that may interest you if you feel like drilling a few holes in new water. Then there is the open water I have access to that still has a decent smallmouth bite going on now. Float n' fly and jigging little 2" tubes has produced a few fish according to my sources.
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Paul
i'd be glad to rid some of the crappie from there!

i'm off all next week!

:)
:D
See the world before its gone!
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

The week between xmas and NYE I should have some flex.....maybe the 30th? The crappie are good until dawn breaks, then they shut off. I've never done well on the crappies on the evening bite unfortunately. But the bass and gills are usually accomodating. Its funny....we were watching fish's reactions to various presentations via the underwater camera......had a lively roach on one line, another line had a small jig tipped with a waxie......guess which bait the bass were going for more often than not?
ThunderStick aka Paul
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Let's make it happen. I'll bring some breakfast munchies since it's a morning bite. Toasted onion bagels with cream cheese and fresh smoked salmon or scrambled egg, bacon and roasted green chile breakfast burritos?

:D

Paul,

I bet the bass preferred the waxies. As I'm sure you know, most fish even game fish are on a larval bite during the winter months. Takes less energy to slurp a misguided grub or creepy crawly than to chase around a minnow.

Ever fished with wigglers on your pond? If you can find the big ones and keep them from getting demolished by the gills, bass absolutely hammer the things when set on a deadstick pinned to a #8 octopus hook. Perfect set-up for a slammer-rig. ( I have a few)
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

Got your message Ed, call me at my office when you can.
ThunderStick aka Paul
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Ridding a pond of crappie sounds like a noble cause that I would gladly partake in. Granted, I've never ice fished before... Total ice virgin.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Can I come? Can I Can I? :shock:
OOOO OOOO I promise to behave!
www.legend-outdoors.com
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others
go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Don't listen to him Paul! He's a troublemaker! ;)
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Paul & ed
I'm out.
My Mom has been real sick lately and in a good window, has insisted on taking all the grandkids downtown that day.

i gotta tag along as chaperone.

no way i can be on the ice and let her go alone.

All good.
i'll make the next one.
See the world before its gone!