Dupage 9/17 & 9/18

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Dupage 9/17 & 9/18

Post by Frank Macikas »

I made it out on a float trip both Friday and Saturday; fishing was tough both days. Friday we did about a 4 mile stretch through Plainfield and I only picked up three small smallies and two decent largemouth and missed several bites. My buddy Mike picked up 3 total but with a very nice 17.5" picked up deep in the wood (picture doesn't do it justice)

All fish were tight to shore or cover next to deeper water. On Saturday with storms expected and the tough bite on Friday my buddy Chris and I decided to try to float a new stretch from south Plainfield into Shorewood. With this being a new stretch I was not sure what to expect with a tough day on Friday but had high hopes due to the weather coming in and having some cloud cover.The first half of the stretch was either thick grass or a solid sheet of rock with no structure. Just when we started to get into the best part of this trip it got very dark and the storm was moving in fast. We had to paddle through the entire second half and missed all of the prime spots. I was skunked and Chris had the big fish (and only fish) of the day; no measurement but I would say around 16" and very fat which also came from the wood.

Seems I am very good luck for whoever I am fishing with lately. All fish were on either stickworms, crawfish or creature style plastics, or imitation helgramites; fishing anything besides plastic in most areas is next to impossible due to floating grass. The river is still in excellent shape and honestly I expected a much better bite this past weekend. The strange part was we didn't even really see many fish cruising or holding in the deeper holes; not even carp. I will be floating the river again this weekend hopefully with better results.