broke the century mark

That's what this one is about. If you're planning on fishing and want company, put that here. If the fish talk you have to say doesn't fit anywhere else, that can go here too.
Norm Minas

broke the century mark

Post by Norm Minas »

The river is below it's average flow for the first time this year, moving about 1,200 CFS. Visibility was only about 6 inches or so. The weather was bearable, the excessive heat and humidity was gone for the day at least. Partly cloudy, not much of a breeze.

I started out fishing chutes and neckdowns between a series of water willow covered islands. These chutes were on the shallow side less than 2 feet so I figured if any fish were up there, they would be in an aggressive feeding mood. I started out with a 1/4 oz rattlebait and pretty much stuck with a rattle bait all day as they were producing. I moved to a bridge and fished the shaded side of the abutments and the shade lines cast by the bridge. Next up was a series of riffle areas that are real close to one another. I moved next to a small midstream island that had some riffles within casting distance on the wider side of the river. I moved from there to a flat that was from knee to just past waist deep on me. Next up was a midstream hump and then I worked some waterwillow beds that were in the shade. I caught fish everywhere most of them in the 10 to 15 inch range with 15 in the fifteen to 17 inch range. I had three really good streaks of 23, 21 and 17 fish where I got one about every 2cd to third cast.

No fish on a weighted keeper hook/plastic, 1 fish on a crankbait, 17 on the jig/pig and 83 on the rattlebaits.

The oddest thing was that the rattlebait bite died about 7 PM and all the fish after that came on the jig/pig.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: broke the century mark

Post by Ken G »

How many century marks have you had over the years? I've had 3, one on the Apple, one on the Fox and one on a Fox Creek. Came close a half dozen other times.

Funny the Kank had 6 inch visibility. The Fox today was in great shape. The high water got rid of it's usual algae color and visibility was about 24 inches. I think it confused the fish. Only picked up 5. But since they could see where they were going, they fought like Kank fish, taking off and running like hell. Not used to them doing that.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Norm Minas

Re: broke the century mark

Post by Norm Minas »

4 all on the Kankakee, lots of days in the 70 to 80 fish area.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .