Okay..... Let me ask you this

Like any other blog, random thoughts on random subjects. Might be interesting, or not. I probably won't be putting up much more here. I have other blogs. Only registered users can see this forum.
John S Montgomery

Okay..... Let me ask you this

Post by John S Montgomery »

Where the hell is everyone? Well anyway, I figured I might as well try and create some chatter. Does anyone here follow The Deadliest Catch on Discovery channel? What do you guys think of this years season? I thought it was great. What I like about that show is it makes me realize that no matter what kind of hard or physical day I have at work there is worse. My wife actually ordered me a "Time Bandit" shirt from the Hillstrand brothers store. Pretty cool I may say. Also shark week started out pretty cool last night with "Air Jaws". The super slow camera and angle of the shots they were getting gave a view that has not yet been produced . It showed how the great whites body appears to morph into a rageing machine. When that mouth is fully extended it makes that shark look twice as thick as compared to when it is closed. That sharks body just explodes in size at a split second............ I'm scared of sharks again. :o :o
Rob P
Troublemaker
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Okay..... Let me ask you this

Post by Rob P »

God please don't let me return as a seal that can't swim fast.........
The slomo of the seal capture was almost too creepy.
My kids thought it was cool and were glad they weren't a seal.

We love both series!
Have watched Deadliest catch from the start, this year my wife started watching!!
as for fishing we go but don't report much.

Took the kids tubing on the Illinois last week and when we stopped caught a mixed bag, cats, sheaphead, largemouth..

Hope to get out this week with the jigging pole and fish the algea mat edge for the bass.
My sons football starts so i'll have from 6-8 to wet a line by the local lake.
See the world before its gone!
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

We' are still here, but river fishing has suffered tremendously this year because of the rains. I know for sure Ken hasn't even been out as much as he usually is, and I haven't even gotten my brand new waders wet yet....... I bought them in JUNE! :lol:

Thankfully, a good friend of mine has promised to help me break them in on some N. Wisconsin river float trips next week.

I think pond fishing has hit a plateau for me....... it's just not what it used to be.
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

2-3 inches of rain last nite will keep the local rivers high..
The Illinois has been yoyo'ing the last month.
By September it will be more predictable and better flow.

All this weekend i'm tied up working a charity booth at a local event or i'd be perching at 63rd or 95th street!

Ed ya ever try jigpoling the local lakes?
its like flyfishing, once you try it you won't go back to casting.
for the conditions its the best way to fish smaller lakes with shore cover.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Was out over the weekend doing the high, fast and muddy thing in Geneva and Batavia. Did okay but no big deal.

I hate that kind of fishing, but had to prove to myself I could still do it. Otherwise Ed is correct. Not getting out much. Busy training on new job and too wiped out to bother writing anything down.

I use the TV to put me to sleep, so I may have seen a shark attack. Can't remember. Besides, I'm addicted to the Food Network. Alton Brown is a genius.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Ken G wrote: Alton Brown is a genius.
My sentiments exactly.

Everything I own is a multi-tasker.

Most of the food I cook is from his show, even his smoked salmon. ;)

Rob,

Jigpoling? Is that like jackpoling from the old days of tuna fishing? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_Rs75-5vI
John S Montgomery

Post by John S Montgomery »

Congrats. on the new job Ken .You guys are right, the rivers are sure inconsistent at this time as far as water levels go. The only food show I ever watch is Kitchen Nightmares With chef Gordan Ramsey. I usually catch it on the BBC channel. I know also saw it on a Fox channel.
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Ed
Nope.
its a take off of the canepole technique used for panfish.

I have one thats 16ft long, very stout and can set the hook and pull in a largemouth bass.
I use 3ft of 10-12# line tied to the tip and use a jig or plastic bait.
Slowly lower the bait right next to the edges of cover.
Wham fish on.

Rod colapses into each piece and you bring the bass into shore.
I walk the shore working the edge and suspending the bait for a few seconds.
No way to do that casting, or nornam jigging.
Even drop shot will hangup.
if a bass is there the bait is gone.

Fun part is collapsing each section while fighting the bass.
Its made for crappie but can easily handle a bass.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-2-4
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I'd have to see it in action, but most of the places I fish the fish spook if you are closer than 25 to 30 feet away from them. Typically I am making 45 to 60 yard casts to get to the opposite shoreline, and 9 times out of 10 I get bit before I even start the retrieve.

I bet it would work at Patterson, but I have a hard time believing it would work bringing in a 4 to 5 pound bass in that slop along the shore there. I fish 30 to 50 lb. braid there simply because of the amount of fish I have pulled from the beaver den, and dense lily pad jungle.
pezdek1

Post by pezdek1 »

Oh, I'm here. Browsing around. I was up in Colorado for two weeks after the 4th and did a little fishing on the Colorado River, and some reservoirs. Nothing major, only spent a day or so out of two weeks fishing, there was so much else to do out there. Haven't put pics on this PC yet, they're on my laptop, and I've been too lazy to put em' up. :lol: Other than that, I haven't fished since sometime in early June. I, like Ken, just started a new full-time job, and even though I'm working from home, after not being employed for 18 months I'm dedicating a whole lot of my time to that. I plan on getting out soon for some perch possibly, and maybe get the waders wet if any of the rivers and the rain would cooperate. As far as Deadliest Catch, I've been watching it forever. This season was outstanding IMO. Very sad end to it with the whole situation regarding Phil, but all-in-all a very, very good season to watch. Those pots on all the boats at the end were stuffed! I think every single boat was pulling in a few hundred per pot and some were pulling in like 500's and 600's. It was insane to see 3/4 full pots of Opilios. Shark week started out great. I've been watching what I can when I'm not busy working. Anyways, I'm still around and still browsing, just haven't been fishing much. I'll try to get my trout pics up from Colorado at some point here.