Apple River

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
Fishin Musician

Apple River

Post by Fishin Musician »

Just wondering what is the HIGHEST level Anyone has fished the Apple River and Caught fish. I am considering leaving my fishing gear at home and just hanging out with the wife and teen BUT I am afraid how that may turn out with out any fishing therapy. I had it figured it would be ok My wife would do her cruising the shops and vacationing crap and I would do some serious wading.... Sure glad. vacation comes around once a year.
I am Kevin Summers and I have a Fishin Addiction....
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Apple River

Post by Ken G »

When I was there last month it was flowing at 350. I find that comfortable. Not sure I would bother if it were higher than that. Some areas get pretty narrow and the flow is harder. If it is flowing faster than that, you may as well go take a look. It is possible to catch fish right in the main park.

Bring a bucket of big minnows or shiners or catch a bunch of creek chubs from the river out of the shallows. Keep wading up stream till you get to this pretty big deep pool. Put them on the bottom. Even further up is an even bigger pool, but then you can pretty much forget about seeing your wife and kid for the day.

I know you're going to like that live bait suggestion.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Fishin Musician

Re: Apple River

Post by Fishin Musician »

Thanks for the info, but it was a wash-out while I was there. I believe it never made under 800 and when I stopped at the park there was tree limbs hanging from the top of the bridge as well as approximately 30 yards of wash stone that came out from under the bridge. It is a pretty narrow river... I will try to go back in the fall , if the rain EVER stops.
I am Kevin Summers and I have a Fishin Addiction....