Here we go again and again

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Here we go again and again

Post by Ken G »

Within 12 hours it went from 1600 cfs to almost 9000 cfs.

That's pretty much that.

The Kank gauge is showing nothing. We'll have to see what happens after this mornings rains.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Here we go again and again

Post by Special Ed »

I wouldn't sit around and wait too long, this rain will be on and off for most of the day. :x

It's a good day to get some small projects done around the house.
MattC

Post by MattC »

Apple river is up to 13,300cfps. I think normal is around 250. I heard JoDavies county got over 10 inches of rain. Anyone up for some whitewater rafting?
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Dupage went from under 250 to over 2700. Mazon was in good shape today; headed back early am tomorrow. Looks like that and the K3 are the only things somewhat close that are fishable.
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

My parents live in Chicago. My mother is a bit of a hoarder. Keeps it all in her basement. They got the most water they've ever had. Almost 18 inches. Spent 7 hours cleaning out junk and we've barely made a dent. I'm estimating a good week to get everything out that was water damaged.

Sunday I have to head to Eastern Illinois University. If still light out on the way back I'm considering hitting the Kankakee if only for an hour. Area 7 is easy in and out. All this rain stayed north and like Frank said, had no effect on the Kank and Mazon, so far anyway.

Matt, I think the sudden stops against the canyon walls would just ruin the trip.
Ken G
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

Ken

Tons of algae floating in the state park, tough fishing. In town in Kankakee or around Momence no salad picking.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

My trip down to Eastern U took longer than expected. The plan was to hit Aroma Park, I haven't been there in many years. Instead, I wound up taking back roads all the way from Charleston to home. Well worth it.

I don't think Dale will be getting much of a report from me this week. I'll be at my parents just about every night after work arguing with my mother about getting all her junk out of the basement before it all starts to rot.
Ken G
Bill C.

Post by Bill C. »

We all probably know someone that got hit with flooding this past week.Last year it was me,this time it was my daughter.Sometimes I wonder how bad things happen to good people.While it was raining my daughter who is a doctor in the Elmhurst area was doing emergency surgery that night and came home to a flooded basement on her newly remodeled home.
BTW; an old partner of yours that now lives in a garden apartment in Elmhurst woke up to a flooded condo.He lost pretty much everything
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Bill C. wrote:BTW; an old partner of yours that now lives in a garden apartment in Elmhurst woke up to a flooded condo.He lost pretty much everything
Tell him I'm sorry to hear that. The water that comes out of Salt Creek is not the cleanest water around. Hopefully it wasn't that.

Saturday morning I picked up my daughter at my now ex's house in Elmhurst. I had to zig zag down flooded side streets to get there. Wasn't sure I was going to make it.

A long time ago I did land planning. When I was looking at houses in Elmhurst I looked up the 100 year flood map. I bought the house on the highest spot south of the Prairie Path between York Road and Salt Creek. It never floods. The water comes within a block of the house, but never gets to it. Even then I insisted that the basement be treated as a basement. They always flood. It's just a matter of when. They are not family rooms, entertainment areas or anything else worth putting money into.

I used to laugh when shown a house with a "finished" basement and tell them "well, that was a waste of money."
Ken G
John S Montgomery

Post by John S Montgomery »

My wife got a great deal for a 4- day stay stay in Puntacana-Dominican Republic Basically because she works in that field, so us and my two sons went. We left our house early last Friday at 2:30 am from Montgomery. No rain....... then we hit 355 while heading east on 88 and hit a wall of water cascadeing from the sky. Eventually it slowed down a little only to become heavy again, and back and forth. Before hand we decided to park at a cheap off site parking about 5 minutes from the airport on Mannheim that has constant bus service to the airport instead of going to my parents house in Desplaines and dragging my dads poor ass out of bed. Took 88 to 290 west and got off at lake st. First underpass -flooded ,inpassable . We should have taken my truck. Followed a couple cars and got back on 290 entering on an exit ramp to go west to another exit. Oooops 290 is completely closed because of water under the next bridge with a bad accident mixed in. Wife is now losing it and I explained to her we will be fine we have 2-1\2 hours till the plane takes off. Usually I'm the one that has the melt down. We are now sitting on 290 west. The meadian seperateing the 2 sides was crumbled down pretty good in a few spots making in not quite as high so we followed a few cars and made a u-turn and made it to north av. Finally got to Mannheim while by-passing numerous underpasses that were flooded. What a pain in the ass. That rain was coming down like a tropical down pour. It had been a long time since I had seen anything that dense. While down in the Dominican the Weather channel was showing footage of chicagoland flooding and according to a neighbor we had gotten about 3-4 inches in my area. Usually when this happens my son and I run around and check out the river and local creeks to see the conditions, we kind of feel like flood chasers! So I kind of felt some seperation anxiety from the action. Hey Ken , I'm sure you know this already but I'll tell you anyway, The city of Chicago is a combined sewer system, meaning that sanitary mains in the streets take rain and sanitary waste-there is no storm water main. Basically one pipe takes it all and when you get a good rain at a high rate the system gets over taxed and since the water has no where to go ,it comes up in basements , most often through the floor drain and eventually the water recedes once the sewer system catches up. So that water that came up in your mothers basement was very disgusting and ridden with bacteria and shit. One thing that can be done to resolve this is a stand pipe in the drain, a back water valve in her main line going out, it's basically a check valve. Or running a over head sewer in the basement, which means your bathrooms will no longer drain down and through the basement floor and out of the house. Instead you would run the sewer horizontally along the ceiling picking up various fixtures going through the foundation wall and dropping down outside. That is pretty much the expensive way. I would just try the standpipe first, some thing that can be installed where you can remove and install the stand pipe when needed. Basically the water level would rise in the pipe instead of flowing out of the drain at the lower elevation. Out in the burbs you have seperate sewers as you know rain goes to retention ponds or rivers and shit goes to the treatement plant. I know they have started installing new sewers and seperateing the sewers in certain areas of the city. We will never see any results in our life time. AS far as the deep tunnel goes ........ well basements are still flooding. The water does not get to the deep tunnel fast enough probably because there are not enough inlets into the tunnel. I'm a plumber out of local 130 in chicago and the company that I work for has done a lot of work in the city. The streets in the city are stacked with utilities and not even the city knows where some of sewer mains are even at. Or you can tell your mother to not keep anything on the floor. Sorry so long and this really has nothing to do with fishing but I thought the site could have used some action and this is where I go to babble on sometimes. Ken I hoped I helped you out in some way. :mrgreen: