Fox River Redirected for Environmental Work

To me the two go hand in hand. If we don't protect it today, we won't have it around tomorrow. There's a lot of help needed and issues that need attention. And why go to a grocery store when you can go right to the source.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Fox River Redirected for Environmental Work

Post by Ken G »

About 10 years ago when I first started exploring the Fox River I did some exploring around Hurds Island at North Avenue on the south side or Aurora. I remember seeing slight oil slicks on the water at this location and just chalked it up to how the Fox used to be so polluted.

Years later I met a guy whose job it was to monitor wells that were on the island. He told me that there was 18 feet of coal tar that had seeped into the island and yes, it did bubble up into the river. That would explain the oil slick.

I fished the west side of Hurds Island heavily one year and found it to be one of the best spots for smallies that I had come across on the river. Now, the west side is dry from one end of the island to the other. The guys that have explored this area with me know, that's a lot of river.

I have a feeling that once coal tar is in the ground, it will always work itself out. At least maybe they can slow it down.

The west side looks like it's going to be dry through March. I'll be out there this weekend memorizing structure and taking lots of pictures.

AURORA -- It's certainly a strange site to see: on one side of the North Avenue Bridge the Fox River flows freely and ducks poke their heads under water in search of lunch.

A large dam made of wood, concrete and blue tarps has redirected the flow of the Fox River temporarily near Hurds Island south of downtown, as Nicor begins testing on soil and bedrock samples for contaminants.

During the late 1800s, gas was produced from coal and oil at manufactured-gas plants in Aurora and across the country. When a network of natural gas pipelines was built, these gas plants were abandoned, often leaving underground receptacles containing byproducts like coal tar in their wake.

The damming of the river is part of Nicor's ongoing remediation work at the former Aurora gas plant at River Street and North Avenue.

Last summer, Nicor workers installed a rock wall along a 500-foot section of the riverbank along River Street in an attempt to cordon off the river from contaminated soils. The current phase involves two temporary dams that help redirect the river's flow around the eastern side of Hurds Island.

"People are probably noticing (the construction work) more now because the river is dammed now," Nicor spokesman Annette Martinez said, noting that the construction was scheduled to take place during the winter months so it would not disrupt outdoor activities at the park at Hurds Island.

An upstream dam extends from Steck Park at River Street and North Avenue to the northern tip of Hurds Island. A temporary barricade dam has been installed from the island's southern portion along the southern edge of the Burlington Northern Railroad bridge to the Fox Valley Park District property on the river's west side to prevent backflow into the work area.

This phase of the cleanup is expected to last through March.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com