Looking for vacation suggestions(Wisconsin)...

That's what this one is about. If you're planning on fishing and want company, put that here. If the fish talk you have to say doesn't fit anywhere else, that can go here too.
Ed79

Looking for vacation suggestions(Wisconsin)...

Post by Ed79 »

I'm planning a trip in the fall with the family, to do some fishing, and take in the outdoors in the nice, hopefully cool, fall weather. Looking for somewhere I can go where I can either camp or rent a cabin, hook into some walleye/smallies, and have a good time for a reasonable price. I've got a small fishing boat to bring with as well. A 12 foot aluminum boat with a 5hp motor, trolling motor, fish finder, etc. Just enough to fit me and my two daughters. We've been going to the Dells area the last couple years, but the fishing has been pretty poor, and I'm just kind of bored with it. I was checking out Fremont, WI and the Wolf River Outfitters. Would I be able to use that small fishing boat in that area? Anyone been up there? Sounds like a good area to fish, but not sure about how effective that boat would be, boat traffic issues, shore access, timing, etc.

So, help me have a good time. Especially you old timers that have been halfway around the country in search of fish. :)
AndrewR

Re: Looking for vacation suggestions(Wisconsin)...

Post by AndrewR »

How far are you willing to travel?
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

AndrewR wrote:How far are you willing to travel?
As far as I need to. :D
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

So I think I have settled on a location. It is a campground in the Nicolet forest in NE Wisconsin. It is located on Boulder Lake, where I can utilize the small fishing boat. There are a ton of class I trout streams within a 10-15 minute drive, the Wolf River is right there, the lake is beautiful, and the area is fantastic. Lots of wading opportunities. I brought my daughter up to a camp at Silver Birch Ranch, and checked out the surrounding area on the way home. Unless someone can convince me that I'll have a better time elsewhere, I think I've decided. Best part is...it will cost me around $100 for the entire week of campsite rental.
Rob P
Troublemaker
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Rob P »

Good deal Ed.
Sounds like a variety of fish at different spots.
Also lots of non lake activities up there.

You should have a great time!
See the world before its gone!
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Rob P wrote:Good deal Ed.
Sounds like a variety of fish at different spots.
Also lots of non lake activities up there.

You should have a great time!
Yeah, the more I look into the area, the more I think it's the spot to be. There are a ton of small lakes with boat ramps in the area as well, so if it's not happening on Boulder, I can bring the small boat to another lake. This also gives me a lot of options if the rivers/streams are blown out, or conditions are bad. Lots of good walleye lakes too. The trout streams really have me intrigued. I haven't been trout fishing in YEARS, and that was just in those little trout farms or stocked trout lakes down here. Apparently the trout fishing up in this area is really fantastic. Lots of natural brook trout streams within a few miles of the campground, some within walking distance. End of September should be pretty good fishing too. Really looking forward to it.
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

I don't know how far away from it you will be, but the Menominee River is among the top-5 rivers in the state for Smallmouth Bass. You should check it out if you have the time. I float my 12-footer with 6hp and trolling motor down the Wisconsin River all the time where it is as small as the DuPage, and I imagine the Menominee to be the same, so you shouldn't have much problem navigating it.

I wish I had the time to get out there for a day but it is 2+ hours east from my house.
John S Montgomery

Post by John S Montgomery »

The Northwest part of the state is beatiful also. There are just countless lakes, rivers and creeks all over. From the Chipeewa Flowage through Hayward and up into The Cable area there a ton of fishing options along with lodgeing from camping , cabins or lodges. I haul my snowmobiles up there every year to the cable area on lake Namakagon. Cruising on the trails up there is breathtaking. With this hot weather I'm getting excited thinking about it. Any bar you stop in at will have Buck heads, Walleye, Muskie, Small mouth, water fowl etc etc... on every wall. Check out the area out.