5/8/10 Fox River Oswego

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

5/8/10 Fox River Oswego

Post by Ken G »

The river was a little high, but in otherwise perfect shape. Fished a stretch down from the Route 34 bridge on the east side that I hadn't done in years. I usually hike over to the west side. No clue why, but I've always done well on the west side. The east side I only recall fishing this part once, but I've canoed it a few times.

A quarter mile hike fishing some really good looking water with lots of great cover and structure and all I got was one quick release dink from out in the middle of the river. And the only reason I even cast there was to get some line untangled and straightened out.

Called it quits after that quarter mile, hopped up on shore and explored my way back. Kids on atv's make that easier on me.

Came across what I thought was a hunk of scrap metal till the 88 gave away that I was looking at a severely battered beyond recognition Oldsmobile.

On the other side of the tree was an old washing machine half buried into the ground. We had one of these when we lived in apartments when I was a kid. Big round tub on legs with wheels. My mom would make it magically appear out of nowhere and roll it up to the kitchen sink.

Almost 4 years after people. Story kind of is that the guy that lived here once ran a canoe livery out of the area. The first time I came across it around 5 years ago the yard was filled with beat up old canoes, a few canoe trailers, a couple of crazy kid buses, a few cars and mountains of junk. It's all gone now. Rumor is he's dead. I remember the house being surrounded by garbage, literally. He would open windows and doors and throw out his garbage.

After this I went and fished a stretch in Montgomery. Hooked a carp in the nose and that was it. Couldn't get up the interest in taking any more pictures. It was just one of those days.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com