What type of reel?

And everything in between. Got questions or want to showcase what you have or make, leave that info here.
Warner

What type of reel?

Post by Warner »

Hello all....I'm new here, and while I'm not new to fishing, I wouldn't call myself an experienced fisherman either. Certainly almost NO river fishing experience. I have a bunch of cheapo spinning reels on cheapo rods. They've all caught fish. However, I'm wondering when one chooses a baitcasting reel? I think I'd like to get one, but have NO idea what's a good one to buy, or if I even need one. I've heard that they cause less twisting of the line. What other advantages do they have? Anyone have a recommendation on a decent one at a decent price? Anyone have some used ones they want to sell?

Thanks in advance guys,

Warner
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: What type of reel?

Post by Ken G »

I bought one once, went home and spooled it up. Made a few casts. Got a horrible backlash. Cut off all the line and took it back for my more reliable spinning reel. Sold the rod.

I work wonders with spinning reels. Not much I can't do with them.

Welcome aboard Warner. I'm sure someone here has had better luck with them. :D :D
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Warner

Post by Warner »

Ken, thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll just put new line on what I have and go with it. I may try the braided line that everyone seems to high on...never used it in the past but it SOUNDS good.

Thanks again,

Warner
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

When I think about the guys I've had a chance to fish with from this site, no one was using a bait caster.

I've always thought it's kind of overkill for river fishing.

You would think someone does?
Ken G
Warner

Post by Warner »

Ken G wrote:When I think about the guys I've had a chance to fish with from this site, no one was using a bait caster.

I've always thought it's kind of overkill for river fishing.

You would think someone does?
Okay...well...I guess that brings up the question, "What are the baitcasters supposed to be better at than regular open-faced spinning reels?" I've never owned one, but all the "cool kids" have them.....

Thanks,

Warner
MattC

Post by MattC »

I could have sworn i replied to this thread already but i must be loosin it :? I use baitcasters on the fox sometime but it is only for crankbait and larger lures. I have a shimano citica with a 7' medium power moderate action rod with 30lb. power pro on it. I guess it all depends on what kind of lures you are planning on throwing. Jigs and smaller jerk baits a spinning outfit is the way to go but if you plan on using anything heavier like crankbaits, rattle traps, spinnerbaits, etc. I would go with a baitcaster. A baitcaster takes some time to learn so dont go out expecting to cast great.
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

I can throw any of those on the spinning rod I have.
When and if I go heavier, which is rare, I just switch to my 7 foot medium St. Croix with the Daiwa 2500.
It does everything.

I thought like you Warner, I should try this.

Well, I did. You saw how that turned out. :D :D

I landed a few 36 inch coho with that setup mentioned above. Big largemouth bass out of lily pads with top waters and the usual worm rigs. Plus I can finesse a 1/16th ounce jig with it.

But then I've landed almost just as much with my 5 foot ultralight and 4 pound test.

I guess it's all a matter of what you get used to throwing. At 54, I'm done with learning curves.
Ken G
Warner

Post by Warner »

Ah, who knows....maybe some day I'll be in Cabelas and they'll have a sale on a baitcaster that I just can't walk away from. Hehe. You've got 10 years on me, Ken, so maybe there's still hope for me.

In my attempt to start thinking Spring today, I started a fire in my little fire pit that I built in the back yard last year. I had one of those cheap metal ones, but we built fires so hot that it eventually melted down on us...Hehe. So I dug a hole, put some pea gravel in there, welded up some 1/2" re-bar into a grate to hold nice heavy pieces of wood, and stacked some pavers around it to make a nice 30" fire pit. Yeah...I live in Elgin and they're not technically legal....kind of. The exception is if you are COOKING on them...then it's somehow okay. :roll: So I welded up some expanded metal to an angle iron frame to make a cooking grate that covers the whole top of the pit. I looked out my back window a few minutes ago and I can still see some small flames in there. At least all the snow that was in there is melted now! Come on Spring!

Warner
Johndyers34
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Johndyers34 »

Hi Warner, welcome to the site. As for the bait caster. I personally do not use one, but I've heard many people say the same thing when looking into them. Ask the guys at the store, and do not go cheap on the reel. It isn't something that is easy to get the hang of, and a cheap reel can only cause more headache and aggravation. I too can't decide whether or not I want to get a bait caster since all I usually fish with are flies now.
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them"-John Gierach

http://www.lostandfoundfishingthemidwest.com
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Hey! This would also be my first time posting on this site. Ken G has given some great tips which has led me to post here. Warner, I use a bait caster when I'm going after muskie or large northern. I use it because it seems to handle the 5" buck tales and lures I put on it. Plus it looks aesthetically more pleasing on my 6 ft. pool that can double as a broomstick. The other big difference between the two (perhaps not in the professional world but in the amateur fishermen arena) is you reel in with your right hand with the bait caster. Now that I wrote that it seems a touch obvious.

I think the most important part of a reel is...
1. The smoothness of the retrieval (Usually the more bearings the smoother) No difference between the two
2. Accessibility to Drag (I have always preferred top access to bottom... and by the crank/handle is awful) I like the spinning
3. Casting Ability (A lot of factors go into this) It used to be that spinning reels had bait casters beat because there is no extra drag coming off the reel. The technology has come a ways since just a few years ago though evening out the playing field. This is one reason why bait casters work well with heavier lures.
4. Everything else that I don't pay attention to (ability to clean or change line/gear ratio stuff/line retrieval speed/how much line it can hold...)
5. How good it looks in your hands

Most of this is just my personal opinion. So if anybody knows more feel free to correct me :?:

Now that all that is said. Anybody know of a good spinning reel for a 7ft. heavy pole (meant for some fox river cats) that can be purchased for under $80?