2/27/10 Yorkville Eagle

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

2/27/10 Yorkville Eagle

Post by Ken G »

Supposedly, before the chemicals in a cup of coffee take their effect upon my brain, I'm a bit of a bear first thing in the morning.

Or as my wife says, "God, you're such an asshole. Drink your coffee already."

I don't ask to be communicated with, people feel compelled to try. You would think they would know better by now.

During the week it's the mad rush to get out the door. Suck down the coffee, tolerate the commute, waste another day at work, all for a few bucks. Most of which I never get to hold for more than 24 hours.

But on weekends I get to take things at my own pace. It's still not worth talking to me till I have that first cup, but I get to take my time over two of them and go wander up and down the street. Sipping at the coffee and enjoying the first piece of crap cigar of the day. Since I live on a dead end street, I don't have to worry about traffic. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nuts wandering up and down. At least they have enough sense not to come out and try to talk to me.

I always wind up back on my front porch. At the end of the dead end street in front of me is the top of the bluff that slopes down steeply, levels off for the railroad tracks, then plunges into the river. It's about 2 blocks as the crow flies. It's probably a 50 foot drop from the top of the bluff to the bed of the river. Maybe more.

From my vantage point with all the leaves off the trees for the winter, I can see the ducks and geese cruise up and down the river. This morning they were making a hell of a racket, coming straight up off the river and heading up and down stream. Through the trees I could see the big dark bird drifting leisurely up the river. It caught the wind and was carried to tree top level. It drifted just above the trees toward my house. The burst of chattering from the squirrels told me they weren't too happy about this.

The eagle drifted just over the top of the tree in front of my house. Juvenile eagles have a distinct look to their head plumage. Not quite the bright white of the full blown adults. It banked and headed back to the river. Another burst of noise from geese and ducks and more of them heading further down stream.

I've had the opportunity to see quite a few eagles over the past 6 or 7 years. First sighting was in the Montgomery area where it hung out in the always open winter water of the treatment plant outflow. Their are at least two that drift by my house on a regular basis, so I get to watch them almost year round now.

What I'm most impressed by is how they never seem to put much effort into what they do. Their wings don't move much no matter how fast they're going. I've seen them chased by crows, red tailed hawks and a couple of ducks. Their pace never changes. Funniest one was when the eagle got tired of these two ducks following it first up and then down the river. The eagle obviously got tired of the game, stalled in mid air and flipped and turned over to meet the ducks head on. Never saw ducks move that fast.

I'm sure this eagle goes through this morning ritual every day. I know it lives some where in the Big Rock Creek valley, but I can't locate it's nest. I have no doubt that it wanders up the river in search of breakfast as part of this ritual.

I wish my daily ritual would allow a slower pace so I get to see this ever day.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com