10/25/09 Fox Hit and Run

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: 10/25/09 Fox Hit and Run

Post by Special Ed »

Save yourself about 5 bux and get Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA.

Trust me.
pezdek1

Post by pezdek1 »

I'm a big-time IPA guy, and Dogfish Head is by far one of the best I've ever had. I'll have to give the Two Brothers a try. Five bucks cheaper than the DFH 90 and you said it's better? Now you got me itchin for an IPA at 10am lmao.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

The DFH is 12.99 a 4 pk. at Binnys, the Two Brothers I got for 7.99 a sixer. 4 bux cheaper for 50% more beer.

You won't be disappointed. TB has a brew-pub in Warrenville. I'm thinking about grabbing a beer or two before a wade on the nearby Batavia/Geneva stretch one day, if anyone would like to join, I'll buy the first round...... :)
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Sounds like a great time! Good beer and fishing go well together. Hell, so does cheap beer and fishing, what am I saying? lol

As far as the IPA goes, the Dogfish Head price is really all about the ABV, and the PHENOMENAL taste. The 90 minute IPA is 9% ABV. Pretty potent shit. I also get it for 10.99 at the liquor stores near me, so you really can't beat it. Granted, you get more beer with the Two Brothers, but I can drink two of those Dogfish Heads and be rocking. :lol: Have you ever had one Ed? I only ask because, most beers I drink that have an ABV around 10 taste more like a wine, if you know what I mean. This is a beer, no doubt about it. Not too bitter, but bitter enough. Not too sweet, but a hint of sweetness. VERY, VERY smooth. Really can't even taste the alcohol in it. Absolutely doesn't taste like a beer that is 9% ABV. It is bitter, smooth, and sweet, all at the same time. Just an amazing beer all around. I'll have to try the TB Heavy Handed, as it sounds really good from reading their site. I've just yet to find a beer that beats that 90 minute IPA. It is THAT good, and I don't even think twice about paying $12 for a four pack. The four pack doesn't bother me either. It's a beer you won't WANT to drink fast, because it really just tastes that good. VERY easy to get messed up drinking these, as you don't realize how much alcohol you're drinking until all four are gone. :lol:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/2093

Check out the reviews. :)
pezdek1

Post by pezdek1 »

the DFH 90 minute actually gets much better as you let it get warm.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

You guys sure know how to go off topic. This was a FISHING REPORT. Geeezzz.

A few years ago I quit drinking because I got really good at it. No, not an alcoholic or a drunk, I really like good beer.

Now I have an occasional beer and only Sam Adams. One or two every few months or so. Since I was 16 I was a firm believer in only drinking good beer. Many years ago I hung out at a bar on the corner of Fullerton and Western in Chicago. Over 300 different types of beer.

Me and a friend were making a pretty good dent in the collection.

Anchor Steam was another favorite back then.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Ken G wrote:You guys sure know how to go off topic. This was a FISHING REPORT. Geeezzz.

A few years ago I quit drinking because I got really good at it. No, not an alcoholic or a drunk, I really like good beer.

Now I have an occasional beer and only Sam Adams. One or two every few months or so. Since I was 16 I was a firm believer in only drinking good beer. Many years ago I hung out at a bar on the corner of Fullerton and Western in Chicago. Over 300 different types of beer.

Me and a friend were making a pretty good dent in the collection.

Anchor Steam was another favorite back then.
lol, sorry about that man. You know, when the river is basically unfishable, we have to make SOME kind of conversation. ;)
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I've had it. I prefer the 60. I'm not one for getting loaded, and you are right 2 is anyone's realistic limit. The TB Heavy is just the right combination of flavor, texture, and aroma for me. I like being able to have 1 beer at a restaurant with my dinner, especially one I know I can really enjoy, and still know that I will not blow .08 on my way home.

I got hooked on IPAs out West. Stone Beers out of Escondido California. Ever had an Arrogant Bastard? I see they have a double bastard brewing now..... interesting. They don't distribute out this way, very unfortunate. Stone IPA is the standard for which all IPAs should be measured.
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Honestly, there are SO many IPAs, you could never taste all of the good ones in a lifetime. Nearly impossible. I almost always drink at home, watching a Hawks' or Bears' game, so I enjoy getting a decent buzz from the beer I drink. Those 90 minute IPAs do just that, and I don't have to have that bloated, overfilled feeling while doing it. Works out well. ;)

I've taken note of those beers you've mentioned, and will keep my eyes open for them. Back to fishing...anyone have any LAKE fishing suggestions for this time of year? Crappie, walleye, whatever. I just want to get out and catch some fish. I have a terrible itch, and don't want to kill myself trying to fish one of the rivers. :lol: