Excuse my ignorance

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
BrandonL.

Excuse my ignorance

Post by BrandonL. »

Everyone keeps going on about how the smallie bite will be dying off here shortly in the fox. So......does eveyone keep getting out and fishing on the fox until it gets too cold? Should I start targeting other fish? Do the muskie and Walleye also head elsewhere? Where are they going anyway? I feel like an 8 year old here but as Ive said im completely new to the behavior of the fish in the rivers.
All that being said, when the fish return are they prone to come back to the same spots? I swear ive caught the same smallie several times from the same hole in the last couple weeks. Will these fish come back next year fatter and even more eager to snap up my lure?

Figure while im making a post might as well make a quick report. I got out last week both friday and saturday. Friday I took the girlfriend out for the first time wading (funny, she absolutely loved it and is even going on about how she found some neoprene waders that shes going to buy and also is looking to upgrade all of her equipment hahaha). Either way, she caught a walleye and some dink smallies and I got into a small muskie and a handful of smallmouth. It was interesting because I had to root them all out of different areas than i am accustomed to. I have a handful of spots on the river that I consistently can pull in some nice fish and they just werent there that day (if everyone remembers it was a pretty dismal day on friday.......overcast/heavy rain/light rain/etc). She caught everything on a peanut (rock shad) and i got everything on a Lucky Craft River2Sea V-Crank Wake (purple back)

Saturday my buddy Andy and I tried out a stretch of river right by Red Oak park off of rt.25. Had a pretty slow day with only a handful of smallies landed. Didnt bother to take any pictures since none were very impressive. Very pretty stretch of river tho some strong currents in some areas. I also ran into several people out there one of which didnt seem too excited by the fact that i was trying to get Andy's attention after landing a smallmouth. You see, we play the game of who can catch more fish and Andy is such a sore loser that all my fish have to be visually verified or they dont count (i won that day). But i dont think said guy was stoked on my enthusiasm, if your on here fly fishing guy who gave me the cold stare when i tried to wave hello to you Im sorry! I was throwing primarily shallow running cranks. I forget the color variations and brands.....sorry. The bite wasnt hot and i switched out a lot.....