5/28/09 Weekend Fox River Possibilities

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

5/28/09 Weekend Fox River Possibilities

Post by Ken G »

As fast as the Fox shot up on Tuesday, and it really didn't go up much, it's coming back down. As of 9:15 PM on Thursday its flowing at 2290 cfs.

On my way home from work I went to where Big and Little Rock Creeks come together. That's not far from my house. They were in perfect shape. They might be up a little, but clear as a bell. I prefer a little stained, but you still can't beat it.

This presents a conundrum on just what to do this Saturday.

Friday night I'm going to go to Saw-wee-kee Park in Oswego and fish the shore line I started to fish on Tuesday before the lightning chased me off the water. When the water is up like this, this normally shallow area is damn near perfect. Lots of shore eddies, just enough depth. The other day the carp were feeding like pigs at a trough in the slack water sucking caddis flies off the surface. I don't have my fly rod rigged up, so I don't think I'll be bringing it.

But what happens here will decide what I do on Saturday.

There is a stretch of the river south of Glenwood Forest Preserve that I have wanted to fish at high water for the past 10 or more years. At normal levels, the water sticks to the main channel and hardly anything passes through this one area. But now it would have some current and be easily wade-able. I've walked through it at normal levels when the water is barely ankle deep. At the end of this stretch, during the summer and normal levels, is an excellent large area that always produces fish. Why wouldn't they be in that area now at high water.

It's something I've always wondered but never checked out.

So that's the first possibility.

Second is a stretch of Little Rock Creek that my daughter and I explored this past weekend. A small Plano city park opens it up for access. If you look through previous posts I've made, you'll find aerial shots of what I'm talking about. From this little park, it opens up over two miles of the creek for wading. I've been enjoying exploring new creek areas, so passing this one up for later will be tough.

As I said, it may all depend on what happens in Oswego Friday night. No fish biting Friday and I'll skip going to Glenwood Saturday.

This is a tough decision, and as I've mentioned before, I'll probably decide when I pull out of my driveway Saturday afternoon.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com