12-29

If I lived anywhere near it, I wouldn't bother fishing anywhere else.
Norm Minas

12-29

Post by Norm Minas »

River a tad over normal flow, off color, still a lot of ice on slack areas. Second day of a warming trend, nice not to have ice in the guides or chips flying off the line in your face. Overcast, ended up with some rain.

As I was driving to the area I was going to fish I saw some herons feeding in an area of water willow bed remnants. I figured they knew better than me, so I joined them, much to their disgust.
I started with a weighted keeper hook and an Erie Darter , dragging and dropping into the water willow remnants where I saw minnows hanging out. No dice with that , so I tossed it upstream of a riffle that came off the bed. I let it slide down into the slack spot at the bottom of the front edge of the riffle and let it sit for a bit. On the fourth cast doing that I picked up a decent smallmouth, maybe 16 inches. I didn't measure as I left it in the water while I popped the hook out.

I worked the front and back end of that riffle for about another 20 minutes or so but that was it as far as catching any more fish I continued up, working the outer edge of the willow bed with the jig/darter and may have had a light pick up. if I did, I missed it on the set or was just too slow to react.

I worked up to a spot in the bed that was a little deeper, cobblestone and no weeds growing in it. First cast, got another nice smallmouth about the same size as the other. I fished another riffle that was about half a decent cast detatched from the willow bed. No more fish and out of time.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
heysambennett

Re: 12-29

Post by heysambennett »

Did you get your Christmas fish Norm?

Down South I continue to explore. The Cahaba and the Fox is a stark contrast. You've almost got to have a kayak to reach the best water. Or be willing to take an extremely long hike in a canyon-esque setting. It's too hairy for me to hike. I'll post up some pics of the area. I got too busy snapping fish last trip.

There are only 2 dams on the river. It's deeper. It's faster despite the lower CFS. It's rockier. But it's nice and green. I do better on water that's less clear. Feels like home in that sense.

Where the warm-water creeks hit the main river it creates fog.

That's maybe as good an indicator as herons. Since these are wet weather creeks the minnows run up to feed on whatever is washing down. I think they also like the warmer water. The spotted bass, LMs and redeye are soon to follow.

There's a lot more wood stacked in hard-bottom areas. That makes for some great crappie habitat.

Other than re-tying it and swapping out the plastic, I've been fishing a 4" watermelon fluke on a long-shank 1/16th oz jig with a beetle spinner exclusively.

Miss y'all. Thanks for reopening the board.

-SB
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

Didn't see your new kayak section Ken. I'll post over there next time.

-SB
Dan
Asshole
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Dan »

What system is that you're fishing Sam?
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

New kayak section...

It's always been there Sam. I have an out of state lakes and ponds section.

I'll do an Out of State Rivers one for you. Maybe later today. Time to try to appear better organized.

Those are spotted bass you're getting, aren't they. Bizarro fish. A cross between a smallie, largemouth and a striper. Would catch one now and then out of the lakes in Virginia I used to fish.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Can't get myself to get out in the winter anymore Norm. Used to have 5mm neoprenes, but those burned out a few years ago. I don't care how much you layer up under breathables, they're not the same and I don't warm up as quickly as I used to.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

I'm fishing the Cahaba. Beautiful water.

Those are spots. I've been impressed with their fight so far. Makes me miss smallies a little less. (A little.)

Appreciate the sections. I'll post some stuff. Just like to post up where folks know me. southernriverfishing.com is OK.

Most of the other sites around here are full of jags. Or folks who don't bother with spelling.

-SB
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

Got a smallmouth on Christmas day and New Years Day, nothing on the Eves. Symmetry there , groove and dig it.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .