9-17

If I lived anywhere near it, I wouldn't bother fishing anywhere else.
Norm Minas

9-17

Post by Norm Minas »

After an enforced medical leave of absence for almost 2 weeks , I got back into the waders. Between the river legs not being quite up to snuff and the meds that make me twitchy as spit on a griddle , it wasn't quite as smooth of a wade as it used to be. I get to quit taking the meds so it's just a matter of letting them flush out of the system and getting my legs back into river shape and it should be good.

The flow is still closer to the historic low than the average flow, clarity over 3 feet, temp was at 70 degrees. Algae on the bottom has cleared enough in places to allow a crankbait, emergent weeds are flowing somewhat in the river, leaf fall not a problem yet. Typical late summer Midwest weather, the recent rains didn't do much if anything to the river. Herons actively feeding all over the place, waterfowl in larger aggregates on the water.

I started with a rattlebait on the upstream side of a riffle, got a smallmouth on the third cast. After fishing both sides of a couple different riffles with the rattlebait, it was apparent that this wasn't going to be the pattern for the day. I went over to what has been an excellent spot for flukes over the years but not today. I see some surface activity, fish it with three different types of topwaters until it qwuits, still no more fish. Next up, crankbaits, well it felt good to be able to work a crankbait without it being fouled by algae. Most excitement with that was reeling in a big clump of emergent weed that I pulled free. Not exactly the results I'm hoping for, but at this point, I thinking, at least I'm in the river.

I decided to take a break, think things over and clear my mind. I knew that with being as twitchy as I was that a jig/pig or jig/twister prolly wasn't going to be a good idea. I gave spinnerbaits and inline spinners a shot, still no fish. I next rigged up a 1/4 oz swimjig with a 4inch swimbait rigged flat, figured I could make longer casts, cover more waterquicker and maybe get a mercy fish or two from the goddesses and gods.

On the standard toss and swim retrieve with that lure, I was still getting the casing arm back in shape. I decided to make a couple changes to see if it would help. I figured I couldn't do any worse than I was. I counted it down from a 1 to a 3 count depending on the depth to try to be about midway in the water column. I also killed the retrieve after 6 to 8 turns of the reel, gave it a little pop and started the retrieve again. I started getting slammed when I made the pop after the stop. It wasn't every time but often enough to make it worthwhile. Every smallmouth that decided to strike, tried to rip the rod from my hands, a hook set most likely wouldn't have been necessary but I made one anyway just to be sure.

It took a while to figure things out , mental rust or just the way things go some days, I guess it doesn't really matter. The fact that I was finally able to get back to what I love and have some success is what mattered.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: 9-17

Post by Ken G »

Noticed a similar thing on the Fox yesterday. A little pop of the jig and twister was getting the hits, otherwise not all that interested.

Be careful till you get your muscles back old man. Don't want to read in the paper about some big hairy guy floating belly up in the river.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Norm Minas

Re: 9-17

Post by Norm Minas »

Ken

I'm getting there, my legs don't cramp up later in the evening after I'm done wading now.

Lord, I spent the first half of my life trying to kill myself with drugs, now I need them to stay alive. I know which part was more fun .
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .