Dupage 5/19

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Dupage 5/19

Post by Frank Macikas »

I was able to make it out for an 8 mile float trip on the Dupage yesterday. Water levels continue to drop but the water is a little more stained than earlier in the week; even with this clarity is around 4-5 ft and there was quite a bit of algae floating throughout the water column. It seems some bass have moved off their beds and could be seen cruising but they were not feeding, and there are still some area’s holding bedding bass. I would say by week’s end the rest will come off their beds and I am hoping that will turn up the activity; I am itching for some top water fishing on the river.

All in all I had a great day with a mixed bag of Smallmouth, Largemouth, Rock Bass, and even a few Bluegill; one of which was bigger than my hand if you can believe that! Almost all fish were of size; I picked up a Smallmouth and Largemouth both at 18”s quite a few in the 17”-15” range as well. I also lost one of the biggest Smallies I have ever run across on the Dupage. When I set the hook this fish it took off upriver like we were on an episode of “Wicked Tuna”! My drag was screaming and rod completely bent over. After a short fight I managed to get this fish all the way to my feet , I was reaching down to lip the fish, the line snapped and I watched one the biggest Smallies I have seen in the river swim away. So it goes…

With all the rain forecasted I am betting the Dupage River will be blown out for the weekend but I am still hoping for rain. If we do get the rain I will be looking at doing a float on the Mazon River; it’s been too low recently to float.

Same Fish:

heysambennett

Re: Dupage 5/19

Post by heysambennett »

Way to put in the work.

On the Fox I suppose the smallies are going onto and coming off of the beds. I've gotten fat girls ready to go on and some skinnies I expect have come off. I got a 13" yesterday that was so full of eggs it looked like someone inflated her with a pump.

-SB
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

The land around the Fox and it's creeks have been absorbing all the rain with no problem. I thought yesterday the creek would be a mess, but it looked like it had never rained. I'm hoping that continues.

I drive over some branch of the Dupe every day. One of these days I'll have to stop. But I do like that lower stretch the best.

Nice fish Frank.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Thanks guys! I don't make it up river past Plainfield much anymore but probably should. It's hard when the fishing is so good down here. This rain already put the gauges at Shorewood to 1200 and with more rain coming it'll go even higher. Was hoping to float the Mazon Friday but its running high as well so looks like I may just go for a ride on the motorcycle instead.