Rickles (Rick) checking in...

Stop in and see who else you know is here. Introduce yourself and get the formalities out of the way.
Rickles

Rickles (Rick) checking in...

Post by Rickles »

Live in Naperville, pretty much fish any where and any way I can. I spin, fly, Tenkara (Japanese fly), handline, jigging pole and pretty much anything else I can fish with.

I'm not partial to any one species of fish, though I do seem to end up after panfish most days. I'll take whatever's biting.

I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time fishing ponds and lakes. Last few years has been some private lakes down near Morris.

Looking forward to participating in the forums.

Since we're all relatively in the same general area, do you guys ever meet up to fish or just shoot the breeze?
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Rickles (Rick) checking in...

Post by Ken G »

Hey Rick.

Now and then some of us meet up, but it seems the younger guys, younger than me anyway, get pretty busy with family. If you're heading out anywhere in particular, it doesn't hurt to put out a feeler if anyone else will be around. I've been toying with the idea of doing a more formal get together this year. It's been awhile since I've seen a few of them.

I'm assuming you fish the DuPage since you probably live near it.

My friend Bob Long, Jr. has been getting into Tenkara and was out on the Fox last year fishing for smallies with one. He wants me to join him this year. He tends to bastardize the technique like he does everything else, but he was doing pretty good on the smallies.

Spend a little time looking through things and don't think twice about chiming in or asking anything you want. You'll get used to the personalities and a few like to beat up on each other. That's what friends are for...
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

One more thing Rick, a number of the people here also participate on WindyCityFishing. I've been on all the local sites and I highly recommend WCF.
Ken G
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by amason »

Welcome Rick, I grew up on the southside of Naperville and my parents still live out there. I end up in the dupage frequently.

Ken, I'm all for a formal/informal get together. Re reading that Fishing Life Plan post makes this cold march that much worse. I'm super anxious to get back in the water.
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I haven't fished the DuPage in a few years to be honest, though I have been to Blackwell a few times. Mostly the last few years it's been in and around Morris (In-laws live in the area so that's where we are most weekends). This year we'll be getting out more into the rivers and other lakes/ponds.

My worry with Tenkara is the actual backbone of the rods, they are great for panfish and trout but smallies and big LMB might be too much for it. We're actually having that discussion in a Tenkara group I'm in. There are rods of similar style specially for larger fish but they are VERY long and are meant for dapping or bated hooks and apparently don't take to casting and presentation well.

TenkaraUSA has one rod that may be of note - http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info. ... ucts_id/85. The Amago has a serious backbone and so far is seeming like the choice, but it is pricey! Although it surely simplifies the gear (and is the appeal to me) I can't budget that price when I can get something with a much broader use range for the same price (spin and fly gear).

BTW Ken - what is the fly reel you have? I've seen it in quite a few photos and the finish on the reel is unique to say the least.
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

I need to get Bob Long to come comment on your Tenkara debate. He always pushes the limit on equipment.

I think the reel you may be referring to may be the one I got to use as part of a contest to win a bamboo rod. None of the reels I actually have are all that outstanding.

If you're down in Morris that often, come mid April and into May you should wander upstream on the Mazon River. Would be worth your while. Look for the spot where the river comes right up next to Whitetie Road. Wading can be a litte tricky, but not impossible.
Ken G
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

HAHA! Awesome! That's less than 2 miles from the in-laws and I fished it last fall for a few hours. They're just north on Jugtown Rd. I've also fished the area right around where it goes under Pine Bluff Rd.

Caught a big cat last summer on the Pine Bluff end just casting around - dude must've been hungry - the lure was *just* outside his gullet he just hit it on the way by and kept moving on.

It was on a bamboo rod (the reel). Looked pretty cool with the orange looking finish.

I got my new line in the mail today for the new 8w rig. :) Got all excited and then looked out the window at the snow. :evil: And the guys at Blue Halo even included a t-shirt! That made my day.
bossbob50

Post by bossbob50 »

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info. ... ucts_id/35

This is the Yamame. 12 foot (long enough), but the power is 7:3 and that is the ratio you wish to fish smallmouth, small carp, etc., in our warm water rivers and streams. Any Tenkara rods rated at 6:4 are going to be too light (and 5:5's are way too light!). At this price - $139 or so - it isn't a bank-breaker, I hope.

However, the problem with Tenkara rods isn't their lightness, or perceived lack of backbone, but the way every one currently using one, and every video of it, shows people misusing the rod to fight fish.

Never, and I say never, try to fight a fish holding a tenkara rod way up overhead. That uses the weak, soft tip and spongy middle part of the rod, which inherently has no power (it is designed for not breaking light tippets). You can't lift a fish out of the water. But, with the rod low - parallel to the water's surface, you can move a fish left, right, left, right, up a little, left, right. You make the fish use it's energy fighting the rod's butt section, and use it's energy running around left and right, up stream, downstream, psuhing against current.

Plus, don't, don't, don't, be in a hurry to get the fish in. Take a few extra moment's to let the fish tire. Then with easy side arm sweeps, (left, right, a little up, left, right) you can guide the fish right into shore, or hand or net, or whatever you have. You aren't going to kill a fish. Tenkara is like judo, akaido, the other graceful martial arts - not the forceful karate styled ones. It is about leverage and pressure, about leading your catch around, not psuhing or lifting it around with brute force.

Get the Yamame. 7:3 power. Lower the rod until it is parallel with the water after hooking a fish. guide it around until it gets tired. Don't try to lift it out of the water or hold it's head up while fighting it. Fish in rivers don't tend to go down to fight (like in lakes) but move parallel to the bottom.

Also. Tenkara is designed for, and is still best on, flowing waters, not still waters. The main orientation for fish in rivers/streams is to head upstream, and they always wish to go that way (which helps you guide them as you wish), and they are fighting not just your pull, but the flow and pressure of current against their sides. This is not true in still waters, and the fight and movement of the fish isn't predictable except for they wish to go down and bury their heads in the muck or weeds or wood. You can't life that head up. Tenkara really isn't designed for this.

Fishing warm-water isn't a corruption of Tenkara purpose. It is still about fishing in rivers, flowing waters, just no reel, short line, short casts, etc. It is just warm-water instead of cold. So, don't give Tenkara over to those stinking, accursed U.S. dry fly guys and their "tiny fly, tiny fish, one way, and one way only to do things" ethic. Tenkara is both a practical (though limited) way to fish, and a spiritual one (or philosophical one, if the word spiritual fucks with your mind.)

Tenkara in Lakes is another story, I don't really recommend it. got questions, write; bossbob50@sbcglobal.net

I'll probably have an onwater class or two later in the spring, should we ever get spring.
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

In 1990 I gave up spinning gear for several years and fished exclusively with the Shakespeare Wonderpole. (It went under a different name back then.) This was all small stream and pond fishing.

I prefer the telescoping model. I've been thinking about going back to it. They make 'em between 12' and 20'. I prefer about 6' of line on mine, although you can get away with line almost the length of the rod once you get the hang of it.

And they're cheap. They're supposed to be crappie poles but a nice bass is a fun fight. I'd have to agree with Bob, you have to fight on their terms and not expect to horse 'em.

There are several spots that I fish that would work really well with this type of setup. Looks like I'm gonna spend another $20... thanks BOB and RICK. (My wife thanks you too.)

-SB
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

Just ordered the 16'.