Rickles (Rick) checking in...

Stop in and see who else you know is here. Introduce yourself and get the formalities out of the way.
Rickles

Re: Rickles (Rick) checking in...

Post by Rickles »

Keep in mind though, the Wonderpole and B&Ms Black Widow are great poles, but they won't work well for Tenkara. The flex is totally different and the delivery/presentation will be really awful.

I use the B&M Black Widows (3 different lengths) for pulling Crappie out of thick brush and other submerged stuff. Great little rods for pulling Bluegill too.

As to Tenkara, fully understand the use and landing techniques. I just am concerned with it's use on larger species. Something with a lot of fight is one thing, but something with a lot of pull is a whole different dynamic on the rod. I've talked (emailed) to quite a few of the designers in Japan and their rule of thumb is (when applied to American/Western fly fishing) if you wouldn't touch it with a 4w don't with most Tenkara rods.

Exception being the Yamame and the Amago from TenkaraUSA. These are more in the neighborhood of a 6w and can really push the limits.

I have a Fountainhead StoneyFly 360 that I absolutely love. Probably pretty close to a 7:3 as well. A few that have used it compared it to the Iwana but stiffer. Had a hoot with it in Florida last fall! Needlefish sure make that thing sing!

Bob - what are you using for lines? I've been testing lines from CutThroat and Moonlit Fly Fishing (both are making Tenkara lines) that kick some serious butt.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Rick, if Bob doesn't get back to you here, take him up on his offer and email him.

He gets distracted easy...
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

Oh yeah, I'm not really getting them for true Tenkara. I'm getting them specifically to drop jig + pig setups in a few choice locations. I do the same with spinning gear, but the added length of the pole will allow me to vertically jig the lure rather than retrieve it back, which I have a feeling will work well in some conditions. More time in the zone. And these are very small holes I'll be hitting. Normally I have to cast to them a bunch of times before the fish are ready and/or there.

I also just loved the hell out of my Black Widow setup and haven't touched one in years. I've been talking about getting another one for a while now and this thread was the perfect catalyst. It'll be at the house in a few days.

Hey Ed- if you're out there - what's the feasibility of building a very strong version of this telescoping rod for flatheads? If not telescoping, something ferruled that I could snap together...

-SB
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

I swear I answered this. :?:

There is something magic in the B&M poles. I don't know if it's the orientation of the fibers or what, but the action is so much better. You completely feel the bump, rub and take on the line all the way down to the butt. They have several others in that range that are pretty nice too. And it's hard to argue the price.

The BreamBuster is another pole I want to get this year.

Oh man, one of the Japanese or Korean companies has a telescoping fixed line Cat pole made out of fiberglass in the lower sections and graphite towards the tip. Maybe it's Daiwa? I saw a guy using one on the Kankakee river last summer. The damn thing is 20' long. Butt end looked like the shape of a baseball bat. I do remember that he mail ordered the rod and it's normally used in commercial fishing over there.
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

It looked almost exactly like this - http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Daiwa-Rods ... -Daiwa.htm

I've seen the guy a few times at the same hole (55s to River Rd. Follow it west/north to the boat launch. Turn left to the boat launch and follow the paved road till it becomes gravel. Continue on gravel to the power lines. Last peg on the left).
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

And at only $600 it's a steal!

Ed and I are working up a prototype of a heavier version. (That's not $600.)

The Wonderpole has been lots of fun as well. I got a smallie on it on Saturday dipping between boulders.

-SB
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

heysambennett wrote:And at only $600 it's a steal!
-SB
I didn't say it was cheap :lol:

Hoping to get out this weekend and fish finally.
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Hey Rick I'm down in Channahon and used to fish the Dupage from Plainfield down to Channahon frequently. As Ken mentioned I am one of the guys who has been very busy with work and family but since I'm back to 100% commission and I can makemore of my own hours again I'm going to try to make it a point to get out more this year. I've got an extra yak and am up for meeting up for a float on the Mazon as long as the flow is good or the Dupage anytime as its my personal favorite river in the area. Shoot me a message if you ever want to meet up.

Frank
Rickles

Post by Rickles »

Thanks Frank! Sounds awesome!

I still like the meetup idea too. Maybe we could all beat up the Mazon in May sometime. The area Ken mentioned is pretty good fishing (though I've done a bit north of his mentioned spot).
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Mazon is a great river and alot of fun with some big smallies; I did a stretch from the town of Mazon starting off on one of the smaller branches and floating down to Pine Bluff. The problem was the float was too long for one day; about 15 river miles. It really should have been broker into 2 days to fish; about 3pm i looked on the GPS and realized how far I was from the car and not caring much for paddling a brand new stretch of river in the dark I paddled the next 4-5 hrs straight to get back to the car. I really would like to have fished that second part of the trip; there was some amazing stretches I passed up. I have waded that area Ken is talking about quite a bit but am a little leary after my tire was slashed there a few years ago but if we are taking your car I'm in :D