C'mon winter!!

And you can do that here. Off fishing topic and off the wall subjects and plain bitch sessions. Sometimes you just need to have an outlet. Only registered users can see this forum.
Norm Minas

Re: C'mon winter!!

Post by Norm Minas »

I never heard of anyone saying at the end of thier life, I wished I had worked more. I understand the desire for some financial security but don't let it rule your life. It doesn't have to be fishing but make some to to enjoy life with the family now. It doesn't have to be a trip to Disney World, lots of low cost to free stuff to enjoy at local park districts, forest preseve districts, etc. Watch a ballgame on TV, read a book to them,whittle a stick and chew the fat, shoot play kick the can.

The most valuble thing you have in life is time. It's the best gift you can share with your family, time with them doing whatever.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Special Ed »

I think balance is what I'm hoping to achieve. I'm unable to at this point, but my choice to work a second job should help tip that scale more in the right direction.

I spend a lot of time with my kids. We read a lot, explore the woods near the house, they tinker with me in the garage, we even work together to help the Mrs. out with the housework that she couldn't get to while she's at work.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure makes life much more comfortable.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I did that whole route too Ed, when I was a wee bit younger. But I also agree with Norm. Some of the best times I've had cost me virtually nothing. Kids don't care, they want time with dad.

You're also talking to a couple of guys over 50. Perspectives change. You're still pretty young as are most of the other guys that bother to visit here.

Trick now is to stay healthy. The deaths and illnesses of a few people this past year are weighing really heavy on me. My friend Dave in particular. Shit, he was 54. Simple doctor visits and diet changes can make a big difference.

Get the debt paid off, I know how that can suck, then make time for yourself. Get it done ASAP. No kid ever said, gee, I wish dad worked more...
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

A guy Rob and I know had a massive gripper last Saturday, dead at 52. From my perspective, the guy was no where near a likely candidate for a heart attack. WTF? Enjoy it now because you dont know what tomorrow brings.

Ed, you ever think about setting up shop on eBay? I'm looking into that now as a way to supplement the household income. Just a thought.
ThunderStick aka Paul
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Time better spent I think would be expanding and building more rods. Getting the site back up and running is a start.
Ken G
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I make about $2 an hour building rods. Time better spent my ass.

I enjoy building rods and would do it full time if the volume was there. There just is not enough appeal for a high dollar item that appears on the outside to be just as effective as a $20 stick of glass from the fishing section at Walmart.

Second job starts at $16/hr, part time, 20 hrs a week, maxes out at $20/hr. in 3 years. It's driving a forklift and guiding a pallet jack. I'll get some audiobooks, pop in my headphones and catch up on some reading. We NEED the money now more than ever and I hate taking time away from the kids but 5 years from now we'll be in such a better place financially that I would be an idiot to pass up a chance at financial freedom.

Sorry to be airing out my dirty laundry here, but it's reality and I'm trying to be the responsible adult. Weird, right?
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

Ed

Passing along advice on life experiences to younger folks is something any responsible older guy should do when asked. Having the wisdom to ask for advice is a sign of maturity.

It's your life, you should live it the way it suits you. Use what you can from the advice, it's not carved into stone tablets come down from the mountain. Even if I do look like an Old Testament prophet.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Special Ed wrote:I make about $2 an hour building rods. Time better spent my ass.
I always liked the comments when I was guiding, everyone thought I was making a killing. HA!

Funny thing is, once you break a rod or more a year, like I used to, economics tells you buy a better rod. It's worked for me.

Your second job sounds like the first job I had when I was 14. Driving around in a forklift truck, stacking big generators on overhead racks and I didn't even have a drivers license yet. I think I started at $1.50 an hour. Hint - never let a 14-15 year old drive a forklift truck. Amazing what those things can do.

Trick will be being rested enough for the weekends or whenever you have some free time and you can run around with the boys. DEFINITELY go get a health check. You owe it to the family. I did the $100 heart scan deal a few years ago. At least I know I won't have a heart attack.

I almost shut down this forum again recently. I'm stretched thin with the couple of blogs I'm trying to keep up with, plus I have others, plus looking for work. But I decided to leave it here for the occasional conversations like this. I like them and there's nowhere else we can go to do this. Even with the shitheads gone from WCF, there's still lurkers out there that annoy me.

For the others here, I hope they know they can break up this conversation and go ask any and all kinds of questions in the appropriate spots. I think collectively we all may know a little bit about fishing around here. Ya think.

And yeah Norm, not quite Moses, but I can't put my finger on it...
Ken G
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

I used to run the supply warehouse for an injection molding company which allowed me to drive a forklift all day. That was fun, tunes jamming all day and no one bugging me. Good times.
ThunderStick aka Paul
Nick

Post by Nick »

We customized one of our forklifts at the office