Salmon on the Lake

From the Wisconsin to Indiana borders and beyond.
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Salmon on the Lake

Post by amason »

I bought a real simple salmon setup from a guy on WCF for $30 about a month ago. This morning was the first time I went out to give it a try. On his and ed's website's advice, I went to Jackson Harbor since it's one of the stocking sites. Got there at 4 am, threw a glow in the dark spoon at the mouth of the harbor for about an hour. Switched over to a deep diving crank minnow just to feel something different on the retrieve for a while. And then I went back to the spoon until about 6:30 when other people started showing up at the harbor. I didn't have so much as a hit so I decided to go back home and sleep more.

Too early for the salmon to be running? Wrong conditions? I admittedly know next to nothing beyond the little I've read about catching salmon from the shore. Anyone have any advice?
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Re: Salmon on the Lake

Post by Special Ed »

It's still a couple weeks early.

Earliest I have ever caught fall run Chinooks in Chicago was September 15th. Couple years ago, a small jack and a fat female around 13 lbs.

I find the best times to be sun-down to 11pm then 3am to sun up. At those times, crankbaits seem to out-produce spoons, but they each have the ability to hook fish.

This week there will be some good reports of kings coming over the cement in Racine, Kenosha, and Milwaukee. Next week you'll start hearing about one here and there in Waukegan and fishing will really pick up in Milwaukee. By the middle of September the kings will be wide open in Milwaukee and just starting to pick up in the Chicago harbors.

If you can't get up north, start hitting the Chicago harbors right around the 15th. Use as light weight of a spoon as you can get away with and retrieve it just barely fast enough to get it to wobble. If using crankbaits, a wide-wobble is best, and the same retrieve speed... just barely fast enough to get a wobble. On my spinning gear that is one handle revolution every 2 to 3 seconds.

I'm going to make a run up to Milwaukee on the 22nd, maybe again the following weekend. After that I might hit Burnham Harbor a time or two in the early morning before work.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I used to go up to the Milwaukee River for the run, but with the lack of rain I wonder if they'll even head up stream. Would go to Estabrook Park. Like that much better than the Root or the Pike. Actually felt like you were fishing for them rather than just snagging them.

I haven't done that in years. Damn gas is just too high to make it worth it.

I have a 9 foot steelhead rod collecting dust in the garage. I should just put it to use on the Fox.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I almost went up to Milwaukee tonight. I have too many unfinished rods sitting around in my shop to take that kind of time off.

Salmon are coming in strong now in the northern and central WI harbors. Give it another week and you'll start hearing about them in Waukegan, then a week after that the Chicago Harbors will start producing.

You best bet is to fish the low-light hours switching back and forth from a 3/4 oz. green/glow K.O. Wobbler, and a deep diving stickbait. I like the Rapala XRD10, lots of guys I know use the 700 series Reefrunner Ripsticks, and the old standby Rapala J-13 is a solid bait. These baits in glow, light green, white, pearl, or firetiger are my go-to color patterns. What I have noticed is that I get more bites on baits with lots of white on them.

Just keep casting, and keep the retrieve slow. Eventually you will find some aggressive fish and connect.
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

When I lived in the city, I used to ride my bike to Montrose for the fall salmon run. What few I hooked (and didnt land) impressed the hell out of me. Those Kings are some seriously powerful fish. Ed's advice is definitely on target. One thing I'd add....swap out the stock hooks for chemically sharpened ones, or make certain that the hooks you are using cant get any sharper.
ThunderStick aka Paul
amason

Post by amason »

Ed, where were you and Woz fishing the other day/night? I was at Jackson harbor again Monday morning and there was still nothing going on. I'm out of town for two weeks starting Monday and I was really hoping to land one before I leave.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

amason wrote:Ed, where were you and Woz fishing the other day/night? I was at Jackson harbor again Monday morning and there was still nothing going on. I'm out of town for two weeks starting Monday and I was really hoping to land one before I leave.

Milwaukee Harbor.

If you live on the South end, you should try to find some fishable water in Michigan City or Portage. Captain Ralph has been hitting Hammond and Portage every night for over a week and getting 20+ fish from 5pm to midnight.

Lucky Craft Staysee 90 in the white/ghost color, Old Berkley Frenzy Firestick Minnows, and Strike King Pro Model Series 5XD in any shad pattern will be your go-to baits.

If you want to get into fish when you get back in town, send me a message. This weekend is bad for me, but in 2 weeks I should be able to put you on a couple dozen if you're willing to fish at night.
amason

Post by amason »

Will Do.
amason

Post by amason »

back. Ready to catch a (some) salmon.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

WI harbors are still going good with steelhead and browns in the mix. Crankbaits and floating skein are both producing well.