The Fox Report I sent to Dale on Sunday

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

The Fox Report I sent to Dale on Sunday

Post by Ken G »

That he didn't put up on today's Stray Casts.

I put up small reports on my Waterdog Journal Facebook page, so putting things up here at times seems redundant.

I need to figure out how to do this. Here, Facebook page and blog. Seems like a lot of work to me.

____

In a nut shell, the past week the Fox River from Montgomery to well past Yorkville was all but dead. The bite has been brutal. It should have been turning on by now.

The creeks on the other hand have been pretty darn good. You have to be out there before the sun hits the water otherwise you don't get much of anything other than seeing a bunch of disinterested fish swimming around. I stayed with small lures, no different than usual for me, so I could catch everything that swims.

That worked out pretty well I think. Caught 18 one morning and 34 the next with considerably more fish missed. Many more fish seen swimming around showing no interest what so ever.

Did a rare write up about the past week.

http://waterdogjournal.com/2012/08/26/s ... ed-to-you/

The rain is already making the river rise. Sunday near 8 P.M. and it's up to 730 cfs, which is normal. I'll bet it doubles that. I'll know some time this week if that's what was needed.

Lots of shooters out at Silver Spring practicing for opening dove season. Over 20 cars and 50 people out there.

But I do think they out numbered the doves I've been seeing around the park. I have more doves hanging around my neighborhood than the State Park.

Lots of squirrels. They were pretty active Sunday morning in the area where they can be hunted. That starts on September 4th at Silver Springs. They do tend to disappear once the season starts though.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Adam HnG

Re: The Fox Report I sent to Dale on Sunday

Post by Adam HnG »

I've got to disagree with you on the dead bite. My last bad outting was my last post on here. Have even been south of you now I have the yak and done pretty well. Granted the size isn't always there but the numbers haven't been bad at all.

For some reason the plan grub was not producing but the hula grub with the skirt on it made all the difference. Have been pretty religious with the craw trailer but that would just get bite off when you hit the creeks with the rock bass n gills

All together still a great post
heysambennett

Post by heysambennett »

That's weird Ken - I coulda swore I saw a post from you on Stray Casts on the 28th.

Things are still going well on my stretch. However, Boogaloo was in town and that was the worst fishing I've had recently. He wanted to fish his usual spots but the weeds were just too bad. We waded from Funway to Les Arends with CB and it was miserable. We hit some other northward spots and it was more of the same.

He didn't have much interest in doing the spots I've been fishing. I don't blame him.

As soon as these weeds clear out a bit more I'll be a lot happier. I'm fishing my last resort spots out of necessity. But it is working. I just prefer not to fish right in the middle of the most pressured spots.

-SB
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Adam, I went from Oswego to Orchard one day and then Orchard to the launch another. Skunked on the first one, a couple of dinks on the other. Further south, around the creeks have been outstanding, but the river chunks I tried were pretty much dead.

Been switching back and forth between the grub and crayfish. Didn't matter on the river. On the creeks it was a different story.

Also did Les Arends and a small chunk of North Aurora, not much at either.

That's all within the last week and a half.

You need to put in at the mouth of Big Rock Creek and go down stream to the Shuh Shuh Gah canoe launch. It's just a few miles, but some pretty cool looking water. I waded that many years ago. I tried to hike half of it a week ago, but the plan got all screwed up and I never got where I wanted.

Sam, he put up only part of it, the later one I sent him. I don't think he wanted to put up this one because of the creek mention. He doesn't particularly like to see them get pounded. Case in point, Tuesday night there were four cars parked there when I drove by. I was a few miles further up. The bite died there too. A few caught, but they're heading out of the upper portions of the creeks. Noticed this happening about 3 weeks ago. It's a little early for that, but the water is pretty much gone from big stretches.

I'm heading out Friday evening to try a stretch. The water is the lowest it's been in a month, crashed to 242 cfs. Not sure the rain we had will make a difference. It's all gone. I'll know tomorrow.

Got an email today from a guy in Geneva. The bite died in that stretch the last week or so too. You've been lucky Adam.
Ken G
Adam HnG

Post by Adam HnG »

Thanks for the heads up. Going to try that stretch with a buddy tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.
Fishin Musician

Post by Fishin Musician »

Still limping around (literally) but My stretch has been slower than I have ever remember seen it. I have caught one good fish a 17 inch off the main channel and except for some stray small fish 5 to 7 inchers just walking about Slowly seeing how much the river has changed. Fished a deeper water tree lined bank which usually holds some good fish and didn't get a bite . Water is so low I have been staying home and planning a few days up North.
I am Kevin Summers and I have a Fishin Addiction....
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Was out this morning. Wasn't going to go, but I was awake. Should have taken my own advice about staying home if clear skies predicted. Bite died after the first hour and the sun was up. Went 8/10, but was hardly worth the effort.

It's real hit or miss. May hit the ponds on Sunday, if I get out.
Ken G