Brands/sites/tackle you like to use

And everything in between. Got questions or want to showcase what you have or make, leave that info here.
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Brands/sites/tackle you like to use

Post by amason »

What kinds of lures, etc. do you guys like to use and where do you get them from. I'm mainly interested in companies that aren't at the big box places. There are a number of small companies out there it seems that are mostly word of mouth or have websites that look like they are from the 90's. I have a hard time looking at some of those sites and taking the places seriously, so recommendations are really what I'm looking for.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Re: Brands/sites/tackle you like to use

Post by Special Ed »

For bass fishing plastics, I like the stuff that StankX Bait Co. makes. It's one guy in his garage that loves to pour. He has great prices, many styles/colors to choose from and even does custom pours. If you fish Senkos, large grubs, or large tubes, you should check out his baits. www.stankxbaitco.com

Another shop that I buy gear from is A-Baits in Lockport. Charlie runs the shop and hand makes lures there all day long. Good quality spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs, ice fishing jigs, and inline spinners. All of his stuff is made with passion for the sport of fishing and looks hand made. Often times I find myself leaving there with a bag of tackle that I don't even need but was so impressed with it that I just had to have it...

Ken likes the Producto grubs. IMO a grub is a grub, but I'm no grub expert...

An up-and-comer in the local plastics arena is Crabby Bass Lures. The helgrammite they make is darn impressive.
Anthony Mikos

Post by Anthony Mikos »

Cabin Creek is the company that makes the feathered jigs we were using in the creek on Sunday. I picked those up at Dick's, but I think the website certainly falls under your parameters.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Special Ed wrote:Ken likes the Producto grubs. IMO a grub is a grub, but I'm no grub expert...
Hardly...

No other grub is made with the ribs on the Producto grubs. I've tried many. They out produce everything.

I hear Ed makes a decent rod, but I wouldn't know...

MC Custom Rods made the one I use exclusively. I'll probably never go store bought again.

I usually use the higher end St. Croix's, but for the price I'd go custom.

Case helgrammites.

YUM crayfish.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
amason

Post by amason »

Are these the craws that you like or another style?

http://www.lurenet.com/brands/yum-baits/yum-f2-crawbug

Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

That's the one, they have them in all kinds of colors, but I go with what I've seen in the rivers.

I do all my finer tackle shopping at Wallies World. They have them there.

The ones where I'm down to my last bag they don't seem to make any more. Little smaller, everything eats them.

I should take a picture of them.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

most of my favorite companies have been mentioned and tend to all be "the little guy".

I am big fan of sims spinners, stankx, and another local company called bizz baits. They actually make my favorite buzz frog.

In terms of rods, I do like the custom stuff. I have a rod from MC and Ed and they are both sweet set ups. If I am not going custom, I like Grandt.

As for fly fishing stuff - i tie most of my own flies and the lines are generally a personal preference. I don't think one is that much greater than the other and one line can do 99% of your fishing just fine -if I had to say my personal favorite all around line, I would say is the Scientific Anglers GPX line.
Anthony Mikos

Post by Anthony Mikos »

What does one pay for a custom built rod?
Nick

Post by Nick »

less than the cost of a premium stick from a big name.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Anthony Mikos wrote:What does one pay for a custom built rod?
It can vary greatly. Most guys are comfortable using anything that casts and won't break when they drop it. They would not see the value of a custom built rod.

Other guys know exactly what length/action/power/application they want a rod to be so that it is a tool for them to fish. If they cannot find exactly what they want on the shelf or if what they do find is way overpriced, a custom rod can be the answer.

There is also the cool factor that you can't discount, we all like toys. :lol:

The custom rods I have built in the last 6 months have ranged from $75 to $500. Average price is right around the $150-$175 mark.