Brands/sites/tackle you like to use

And everything in between. Got questions or want to showcase what you have or make, leave that info here.
Nick
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Brands/sites/tackle you like to use

Post by Nick »

Theres also a raffle going to win a custom stick from Ed. $10 gets a shot. More info can be found on the DPRAA facebook page
Anthony Mikos

Post by Anthony Mikos »

Oh wow that is cheaper than I expected. Met a buddy at Cabela's last week and was looking around. Saw some St. Croix rods for $120 or so. I can't fathom paying that much for a rod, but a big portion of that is definitely sour grapes.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Anthony Mikos wrote:Oh wow that is cheaper than I expected. Met a buddy at Cabela's last week and was looking around. Saw some St. Croix rods for $120 or so. I can't fathom paying that much for a rod, but a big portion of that is definitely sour grapes.
$120 is low mid-grade for St. Croix too. I have a beef with their rack rods... They play up the whole made in America thing but most of the "affordable" models are blanks designed and made in Park Falls, WI, but the rest of the parts are from China and the rods are Hecho en Mexico. :|

If you're thinking about upgrading your rod, let me know. I have a couple demo rods that I loan out to guys that either bought a custom and are waiting for theirs to be built, or to guys that are on the fence about a custom and would like to see what the hype is all about. The only two guys that borrowed my demo medium light spinning rod returned the rod to me with cash in hand for me to build one of their own. The best part is the quality of that rod is leaps and bounds ahead of the $120 St. Croix, but at a lower price point.

Food for thought.
Anthony Mikos

Post by Anthony Mikos »

It's probably a ways down the road for me, unfortunately, but I'll start setting pennies aside.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I never did ask Matt how much he would have charged me for the one he built. Good rods are definitely worth the price. Set aside 5 bucks a week and by next spring you'll be good to go.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com