Nature Deficit Disorder

I know a lot of writers. I hope I can get them to participate. I know they heavily edit what they say to match their audience. Here you don't have to do that. Say what you really want in the way you really want to say it. Add a link to your blog, put in tons of pictures, whatever you need to do.
Rob P
Troublemaker
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Nature Deficit Disorder

Post by Rob P »

Topic has been around, but now it actually gets regarded some attention.

Nature Deficit Disorder
By Rob P

In this day of plentiful electronic thumb exercising babysitters, there is a problem growing which is a lack of outdoor participation.
Years ago as kids, bikes were our transportation and we had to be forced to come inside when it got dark. Now we find excuses
to get kids outside away from the TV and video games, and even bike riding is on a downward trend as an activity.

Fishing, hiking, biking, even kite flying can be sources of outdoor activity that will hopefully repair the soft minds caused by e-games.
Even the simplest of nature hikes can result is communication that does not include discussions about play levels, game chips or ipods.
Before you know it, the woods become the play area with no limit to levels for exploration. Each trip outside builds upon the other as
a learning experience and future hikes bring out what has been learned in the classroom and experienced. Each path taken and curve
into new areas produces questions and wonder that can only be found outside.

Nature hikes are an easy way to get back in touch with your surroundings. The smells and sights help you realize the bigger picture and
can relieve stress from everyday life. While hiking with kids, divert control and let them lead. Pick a direction, and the family or friends
will follow. After a short time switch and let another child lead the hike. Doing this lets the kids run the course and speed of the hike and
gives them first discovery to what lays ahead.

Let’s go check out that area.
Dad, look what I found!
Let me lead the hike for a while.

Once out on a hike, take time to stop and take in the surroundings. Literally stop, sit down and look around. You’d be amazed at what’s
going on around you, flying, crawling and moving once you are able to see their motion. It might take a minute or 5 minutes, but use it
as a snack break. Once you stop your perception changes for motion and it’s very easy to see the surroundings.

Do you hear that bird call?
Look at these animal tracks.
This makes a good walking stick.

When stopped, or when different sounds are heard in the distance, have the kids close their eyes and point in the direction they feel the
sound originates. Try it with your eyes open, but it’s much easier with the eyes closed. Without the visual, the ears work better
and the brain determines direction for focusing only on the hearing sense.

Why is that skull white?
Do Bluegills eat chicken nuggets?
We saw two deer, and they were watching us!

With all the different birds, have a contest on counting the species heard. You might not recognize them all, but you will hear more
than you thought were present. Prior to your next trip “Google” song birds and listen to audio clips of their songs. With that information,
you’ll hear and hopefully see friends you never knew were flying about.

Can we climb that tree?
Where do the deer sleep at night?
Let’s come back again!

A few months ago while hiking we found a bleached white animal skull. The bottom jaw was gone so we couldn’t figure out the species.
Closer examination showed some features, and it was enough to get the kids intrigued to look for more. We left the skull where we
found it so others could enjoy the find. We weren’t the first to find the remains, so we left them for others to explore.

Kids need to get outside and see, feel and touch nature. Let them get dirty and climb a tree and turn over rocks. (Hopefully in the woods
and not my yard landscaping!) Handling the animal skull gave them a closer feeling of what the animals look like close up and how they
somewhat resemble us physically. Now is the time to take the kids out with you fishing, biking or hiking.

How can we teach stewardship if the kids don’t get enough exposure to the outdoors? Right now many are involved with preserving what we
have for future generations, but fewer of our youth are being involved with outdoor activities and thus their appreciation isn’t developed.
Appreciation for nature and the outdoors starts at a young age; we have the resources in our community, metropolitan area and state.

Nature Deficit disorder is reversible; it can be prevented and cured. There is still time, 2008 has just started, take the kids or grandkids out fishing,
for a nature hike or skating. They will thank you when it’s over. Little trips outdoors producing new experiences is just the ignition needed
to get the kids on track to become our future stewards.
See the world before its gone!
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Nature Deficit Disorder

Post by Ken G »

Good story. Where's it going to show up other than here? Or has it already?

Give yourself a plug.

Having two girls, it gets even harder. Luckily I've driven mine nuts since an early age. I don't know if they just humor me or if they really enjoy it. I'll know when they have their own kids and see what they do with them.

Had my youngest out a few weeks ago tracking turkey tracks through the snow. And my older climbing up snow covered ravines. I think she was more winded than me when we were done.

I have a good time with them, best I can hope for is that they think the same.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Midwest Outdoors Magazine and my bi weekly column in a local paper.

Kids participation is dropping off.

Its up to us..

:D
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Rob P wrote:Midwest Outdoors Magazine and my bi weekly column in a local paper.
I'm going to have to teach you some Marketing 101.

What local paper?

Some of us like to read while sitting on the toilet and our internet connection doesn't work in the bathroom. :P
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Orland Prairie
http://www.opprairie.com

I started the column in '06.
Makes me really think about different topics and not just hook & bullet ideas.

Lots to write about outside the tacklebox.

:D