Advice for the first time wader?

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Anthony Mikos
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Advice for the first time wader?

Post by Anthony Mikos »

I am heading out this Sunday morning and finally getting in the damn river. Going to start at Buffalo Park in Algonquin and work south towards C'ville. Had a credible tip of some good fishing in that stretch.

I still don't have waders, so I will be wet-wading. First time to be out of shallow, clear creeks and into the river. Any tips - ANY TIPS - you might have for me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
heysambennett

Re: Advice for the first time wader?

Post by heysambennett »

Be careful. Have fun. Bring a change of clothes. If you're wearing sneakers also wear socks. I prefer a good breathing wool sock. Try a light colored craw-imitator since the crayfish just molted.

Take a shower when you get home.

Don't sleep too much or too little. Don't drink too much or too little. Pay attention when you're driving. Let people in if they're trying to cut in. Be nice to waitstaff and cashiers. Wait until you're older to have kids. Travel more than you think you can afford. (Oh wait, fishing advice...)
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Pay attention to your feet and don't hurry. Watch for poison ivy since you won't have waders. If it's soft and mushy when you bump into it under the water surface, don't reach down to touch it. You probably don't want to know what it is. Fish tight behind every rock in the water, even the little ones.

Only waded that far north once, not enough wadeable water for my liking. You need to head south. Geneva will teach you a lot about wading right now.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Anthony Mikos
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Anthony Mikos »

If only it were as simple as just driving an hour south and fishing all day, Ken, then I absolutely would.

Thanks for the tips.