How to do a "shore lunch?"

And you can do that here. Off fishing topic and off the wall subjects and plain bitch sessions. Sometimes you just need to have an outlet. Only registered users can see this forum.
Anthony Mikos
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

How to do a "shore lunch?"

Post by Anthony Mikos »

So, catching, cleaning, cooking and consuming a fish is on my to-do list. I have never dispatched an animal and eaten it. Not sure whether I have it in me to do a mammal yet, but I feel like it is time to try with fish, though. I know I can catch a fish, and I know I can cook it. It's the middle steps I am unsure about.

Problem is, I barely know how to pick out a good fish to eat at the supermarket, let alone catch one that is suitable for eating and then kill and prepare it myself. So, where does a noob like me start? Any advice/pointers?
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: How to do a "shore lunch?"

Post by Ken G »

Really do need a show and tell.

Scale it, filet it, leave the skin on. That's where all the good things about eating fish is.

Crappie, gills or bass. Start with those.

This will get to how to do it, but, like I said, scale the fish first. Ignore the part where he says to leave the filet attached to the tail. You want the skin. It's where all the Omega-3 stuff is. That's good for your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXYBR6sVzk

Buy some Shore Lunch and follow the directions after that.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Anthony Mikos

Post by Anthony Mikos »

Thanks for the info. I will have to try this. I've heard largemouth aren't very good, but smallies are. Truth to that rumor? Also, would harvesting from creeks be better than the Fox proper? Related: ponds bluegills...bad idea?
amason

Post by amason »

Anthony Mikos wrote:Thanks for the info. I will have to try this. I've heard largemouth aren't very good, but smallies are. Truth to that rumor? Also, would harvesting from creeks be better than the Fox proper? Related: ponds bluegills...bad idea?
When we finally get together, I'll show you how.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Smallies are better IMO. They are both part of the sunfish family, but for whatever reason be it diet, environment, genetics... the smallies taste more like bluegill or sunfish to me.

If you can find a nice clear running creek with smallies in it, 14"-15" fish are about perfect size for cooking.

We should all eat more smallmouth bass. ;)
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

You've missed my smallie taste test. Fox smallies aren't bad, better than Kankakee smallies. Apple River ones are the best.

Now with the water down on the Fox, I'd go with a creek. Fish tend to taste like their environment. Same goes with largemouth, the clearer the water, the better they taste.

For the bigger bass, I'd bake them in the oven or on a grill.

Scale them, gut them, leave the head on. Coat them inside and out with olive oil. Put on whatever seasonings you like. I like to fill the cavity with onions and some slices of orange, lemon or lime. I've always loosely wrapped them in tinfoil before sticking them on the heat. Can't remember the time to cook, it's been a long time since I've done it. That's why I loosely wrap them. I can always take a peek.

Bluegills and crappie are excellent. For some reason, red ear sunfish are even better. Used to catch a bunch of them when I was with the club out in Virginia.

Don't forget it's bull frog season too. MMMMM frog legs.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

drift wood fire, cast iron skillet, can of crisco, toss fillets in ziploc bag[used to be paperbag] on corn meal,bit of flour if you like, some seasoning and shake. Fry some sliced taters in the other cast iron. Can of pork beans laying on embers if desired. Bring some soda biscuits from home. Cold beverage of your choice.

prolly break 328 regs, have 11 agencies issuing citations if you did that streamside now.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .