Whoa!

And you can do that here. Off fishing topic and off the wall subjects and plain bitch sessions. Sometimes you just need to have an outlet. Only registered users can see this forum.
ThunderStick

Whoa!

Post by ThunderStick »

Me and the family are headed up to the great woods of northern WI (Vilas county) in a couple weeks. In conjunction with that trip, we've been doing overnight backpack trips in the Porcupine Mtns the last few years. This year we're staying in a cabin on Mirror lake, which is supposedly loaded with smallies. The thing I just found out is it also has a nice population of splake. My first thought was, what the hell is a splake? Thanks to our friend Google, I learned it is a hybrid of two fish species resulting from the crossing of a male brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and a female lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Woo hoo, talk about a bonus! Splake shorelunch sure sounds good to me :)
ThunderStick aka Paul
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Whoa!

Post by Special Ed »

Splake are gorgeous fish, definitely get some good pictures when you catch some!
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I need to do some traveling. This hanging around and fishing in Illinois thing is getting old.

Heading to Devil's Lake WI in July. Might break down and get a license. The bass were feeding in the shallows off the beach when I was there in May. Had wished I brought my fly rod.

You would think they could have come up with another word other than "splake". Sounds like one of those Polish dishes everyone is afraid to eat...
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

When I told my kids about splake, my daughter accused me of making the word up. :P
ThunderStick aka Paul