My name is John Trayser...St Charles

Stop in and see who else you know is here. Introduce yourself and get the formalities out of the way.
GreatfulDad

My name is John Trayser...St Charles

Post by GreatfulDad »

I am a lifetime addict of fishing. Lived in Montana for 6 years but have returned home for family. I own a drift boat and am looking to find places to use it. The DuPage looks good but I don't know any put ins and take outs. Glad to share the boat with passionate anglers. I built a bonefish camp on Andros Island 10 years ago to feed my salt water jones. Love playing guitar as much as I love fishing. Always looking for new friends in either field. To see me visit: www.greatfuldad.com . I write books about family and speak around the country. Let's go fishing!!
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: My name is John Trayser...St Charles

Post by Special Ed »

I have read your work John, years ago when you started posting here. Good stuff.

The East or West branches of the Dupage would be hard to drift because of it's shallow nature. Many stretches I am familiar with run 2 to 6 inches in depth at normal pool. After the confluence though I am not familiar with but I assume it's likely only a bit deeper on average. If the Fox river wasn't damned up at every city stretch I'd suggest that.

Have you ever heard of the Mazon river? Some gorgeous backdrops all along that river and it boasts a virtually untapped world class smallmouth fishery. Take a look at some maps and do some research, if you need someone to do some reconnaissance, I'd be happy to scout put-ins or pull-outs for you.

I used to catch bonefish on ultralight spinning equipment in the back of San Diego Harbor when I was a youngster serving my country in the USMC. Great fight in those fish, unbelievable strength, and about as elusive as any other species I've ever targeted. The resort on Andros sounds like paradise.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Hey John, glad to see you back.

The lower stretches of the DuPage would be perfect for your boat. There are some areas where you can't wade because of the depth, but they look like good stretches. Wish I had kept a canoe or kayak when I shut down my shop a few years ago.

Here on the site is a page that will help get you started, scroll down and you'll see the info for the DuPage:

DuPage River Access and Info

From Plainfield down is where it starts to get deeper stretches. A fair amount can be waded, but there's a lot that can't. Check out the links to Plainfield, Channahon and Shorewood. There are links on those sites to park maps along the river. I can't think of the put ins and take outs off the top of my head, but I know a few stretches worth trying. I'll have to go refresh my memory myself.

The lower Fox would also be worth it. The area below Sheridan they call the Dells especially. Starting from where Route 52 crosses the Fox and go down stream. I'll look into the access points.

Like Ed said, the Mazon would be worth it. Kankakee, Kishwaukee, part of it will depend on how far you're willing to travel.

In the mean time, break out the waders and we'll put you on fish on the Fox till you get the boat details worked out.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
GreatfulDad

Post by GreatfulDad »

Hey Ed and Ken!

Just moved back from Montana...that's why you haven't hear from me...dying without my 2 grand daughters. Got fired up reading your old posts and hit the Apple River on Saturday. Great clear water day...eating a Murdich Minnow streamer all day at the Boy Scout Rd bridge above Woodbine. thanks for the old tip Ken.

Let me know if you guys want a day in my drift boat on the lower DuPage...it would be my pleasure to have your company and learn some new water.

Thanks to other posts...I got fired up and headed to the Mazon this morning and found it very dirty and high. Long, sad drive home...darn. Know anyone down that way where I might call to see the water condition?

Let me know if you want to hit the Duper...my pleasure to be host for the day.

Just got a phone call from Capt Austin Adducci to be the camera boat on Saturday on the KKK. Been YEARS since I fished it...used to live in Park Forest and was 45 minutes away. Now...2 hours and he wants me there at 6:30. filming two female anglers that have started a business...a man can pray for a warm...bikini hatch can't he!

My phone is 630.549.0606 or cell 406-209-7383
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I met Austin over the winter at a show. Seemed like a good guy. You should enjoy it. It may reach 90 that day, you may get what you wish for.

The Apple is a gem John. Too rich for my blood lately to get there. Need to nail down steady work first before I can start adventuring again.

I'm surprised the Mazon was dirty. The gauge didn't show it up that high.
There's a place directly across from the mouth of the Mazon on the north side of the Illinois River called Kayak Morris. They might be able to help with condition updates. They offer trips up that river. World's ugliest website, but the woman that runs it seem to really know what she's doing.

http://www.kayakmorris.com/

The stretch of the DuPage I fished last year far south really requires a boat. I'll check out access and I may take you up on your offer.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
GreatfulDad

Post by GreatfulDad »

Heads up Ken and guys!!!! Mazon still very dirty today..maybe 2 inches viz. I called the Kayak lady after a little search this morning and she said there was 2 feet visibility. Got in the water for 5 minutes and bailed. Second time in a week I drove there and left.
After you said the flows looked good I headed down there.Thank god for smartyphones...had a feeling the Vermillion wasn't that far away. Dialed in the Droid Google maps and made a run for it. Half hour later I was at the raft place on 178.

Visibility of maybe half a foot. they let me park there and I caught a few on jig and orange twist and then a few more on Murdich. Looks like neat water but way dangerous wading today. very uneven bottom and all solid rock...not rocks.

May try again some day.

Just wanted to save you a trip the the Mazon Ken. Got you into a feeding frenzy about the Apple eh? Next time lets share the gas!
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Special Ed »

Where are you accessing the Mazon?

I have never had visibility problems like that. The spot that I access I can stand on a hill 30 feet above the water and watch smallies and carp move from behind one rock to another as they push upstream.
GreatfulDad

Post by GreatfulDad »

Yesterday I was at Whitetie bridge...last week was further back towards the Illinois river. KKK was 2 inches visibility...all from huge Indiana rains that had the KKK at 26,000 cfs! Today it was down 1100 cfs from Wednesday.