2500 @ 6am

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

2500 @ 6am

Post by Special Ed »

Hopefully it comes down a bit this week, I had after work plans to get a little more video so I can finish off the project I am doing using my Brother in law's music.

Had fun shooting fish in a barrel yesterday though... :lol:
Johndyers34

Re: 2500 @ 6am

Post by Johndyers34 »

At least I caught something on a fly rod in front of Ed finally. Who cares that he was catching 16" bass and I landed a 7" Bluegill right?
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them"-John Gierach

http://www.lostandfoundfishingthemidwest.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I set you up for success in a couple spots and you failed to convert. :cry:

If you can't shoot the 35 yards across the pond to fish the opposite shore, you might as well leave the fly gear at home. That place has always been that way. The opposite shoreline is key.

Don't feel bad, I can barely make those casts using my casting/spinning gear.
Johndyers34

Post by Johndyers34 »

I was shooting across the lake just fine when that wind died down. Between the rocks on the shore causing problems with my line laying out and the weed growth behind me I might have to do as you say and start bringing the spinning gear there (if I can find it). Night time top water will be key. I just need to come up with a stripping basket for my line to keep it from tangling up with rocks and twigs below.
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them"-John Gierach

Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

With the amount of rain they got in Wisconsin yesterday I think the river will be up for a bit.

16 bass, 17 crappie and 3 gills on my little ponds before the wind and lightning chased me away yesterday.

A 100 foot cast is a challenge for anyone with a fly rod, wind or no wind. Hopefully you were using crayfish and helgie flies...... :D
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I think you need a stripping basket and a 2 step stool. Should get you up enough to clear your backcast and the basket will keep the line out of the rocks and twigs.

Any big popper or big surface bug should work great out there soon. Water need to push up over mid sixties and it will turn on real good.

Ken, if it comes down closer to 1400s by midweek I'll probably head back to SWK. Possibly downtown Oswego again... I don't think I will get that chance though.
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

make sure your flyline is clean and very slick.
Use that cleaner that gives a slippery surface, i cant remember the name of the cleaner i use.
A slick coating helps on pick up off the ground & rocks.

or hold big alternate loops while stripping.
That way when you cast back out its not in a small bunch to get snagged on the ground.

I tried a basket one time and hated it.

:roll:
See the world before its gone!
Johndyers34

Post by Johndyers34 »

Thanks Rob! I have a feeling I'll hate it too. I know the rocks around this barrel of fish are brutal. The line gets caught under more than anything. I'll probably end up making a basket out of crap laying around the house and giving it a try.

I know that cleaner you are talking about. Depending on the type of water I've fished recently depends on how often I clean it.

Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Now they are calling for 5 days of dry weather.

My Wednesday/Thursday plans are looking up.

Might need to make a morning run or two up to Diversey this week to see if those yellow bandits are in yet...

My freezer has no ice-fishing harvest this year, time to re-stock for the next fish fry!
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

im off Friday.
Illinois river is about 10 ft above where i like it, by Friday it wont be down yet.
Peak is wednesday/thursday.

want to splash the boat but dont know where yet..
See the world before its gone!