Thorn Creek

Some like it, some don't. If you're fishing its major tributary, Salt Creek, leave those posts here.
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Thorn Creek

Post by amason »

It dumps into the little Cal. Does that make it a tributary of the Des Plaines? You decide. Anyway I didn't know where else to put this. I was fishing right here. I've tried fishing wampum before but have never had any luck. Today I noticed that there was another blue line on the map and decided to check it out.

This is the second time this year I've tried to fish a river/stream the day after a heavy rain where the water was muddy and high. Is this a generally bad time to fish? The surroundings were great. Lots of open bank space once you walked down the steep berm that leads down to the water.

I didn't see any other signs of previous fishing aside from a bobber caught in a tree on the opposite bank. My guess is that it's not as popular as the easily accessible lake.

I threw a white grub, a watermelon flake senko with a bullet weight, a skirted jig, nothing the whole time.

The first spot I was casting looked promising, and I saw some movement in the water, but it ended up being this guy.

Are beavers good indicators of spots to hit or particularly bad?

He's a regular. And very ambitious.

I found a number of downed logs and pools and the only fish I happened across was a large carp that flashed to the surface momentarily.

The morning was kind of a bust fishing wise, but I'm definitely coming back here when the water is behaving differently.
Dan
Asshole

Re: Thorn Creek

Post by Dan »

Nice write up. I have never fished Thorn before. I would try fishing it again when conditions settle down.

Dan
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

It does look a little muddy. You've done well on other little creeks down that way, haven't you Dan?

The one I've always wanted to get to was Hickory Creek, but I have to cross over so much other water to get there, I never make it.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Dan
Asshole

Post by Dan »

H.C is one of the nicest bodies of water in the greater chicagoland area!! I spent 2 whole seasons learning not to fall over in my waders!! :)
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

ive fished the lil cal not far from where Thorn feeds in.
Nice area can get shady with characters.
Remoteness is nice, but better watch yourself when it gets nice out or later in the day..

i'd rather fish in a lightening storm than to be aproached by gang bangers
looking to know why im fishing by their picnic.
See the world before its gone!