Mazon River 4/6/2010

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
smallmouthfisher
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Mazon River 4/6/2010

Post by smallmouthfisher »

Nick what do you think...
pezdek1

Post by pezdek1 »

Ya, I only got one, but others caught a few. :D I got mine right as we were leaving too.
pezdek1

Post by pezdek1 »

Tough to say. It's nowhere near big enough to handle more than 4 people fishing going in each direction. Even with Just my dad, brother, sam, and me we were crossing lines and getting in each others' way from time to time. I would say 4 max going each way from where we park. Definitely not nearly as big as the Fox where we had the last Monster Quest. We might be able to swing it if we have guys fish multiple access points at the Mazon, but then again there's only two or three major access points that I know of.
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

I would say no. There's really not a lot of areas that can support more than a few guys. The areas where the river widen out, aren't really wadable. It gets to a point farther down toward the Illinois where it just drops off in shelves into the middle of the river, from a foot deep, to several feet deep, right off of the bank. Those are really only fishable from shore, or with a boat. Access is extremely limited too, as is parking. Just not suitable for an "outing".
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Ed79 wrote:It gets to a point farther down toward the Illinois where it just drops off in shelves into the middle of the river, from a foot deep, to several feet deep, right off of the bank. Those are really only fishable from shore, or with a boat.
I had a feeling it would be too small. Did the Apple once with a half dozen guys and we did a lot of moving around to get around each other.

What I quoted above is something I've been thinking about for about a month. The mouth of the Mazon is right next to 47 in Morris. On the other side of the Illinois is a boat launch. I was looking at birds eye aerials all the way up to where you guys fish. Tricky looking water. I thought by putting this up SpecialEd would think such an adventure would be worth the challenge.

And his lower unit.

Also, for when the water comes down, the lower Fox up to the Dayton Dam. Was told by an IDNR fisheries biologist many years ago that this stretch holds the biggest smallies in the river. I also know it holds a pretty decent population of muskie. Need a boat. Just not sure how the channel works. I've never floated it.

I thought by mentioning this SE would think this is good idea number 2. And another lower unit.

Who else has boats?

I need to get a canoe. I'd float Dayton to the Illinois in a heart beat.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

Now you're calling me out.....

I came home tonight and the wife made me ( 8-) ) help her finish a nice bottle of pinot noir.

I don't know whether I should be outraged or intrigued. I'll sleep it off and let you know tomorrow.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I had this friend when I was a kid.
I'd start a sentence with . . . I wonder what would happen if . . . and the next thing you know he'd devise a way for whatever to happen, happen. There's reasons I know how to blow things up as well as I do.

Similar circumstance here Mr. Ed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

I already have it worked out in my head, and I can visualize us floating that stretch. I just can't pin it down to exactly when, who, and how yet.

How about some input from the Fox master himself? When would you consider the Fox to be in prime season for a day long float/wade? What kind of access points are we looking at? - launch ramps or gravel shoreline? Who all plans on going? - I counted 5 interested parties on our last thread. How about some schedule ideas? If we want to hit it in late May - early June, what does everyone's schedule look like?

I think my boat with the 25 on the back needs 12 inches of water to float. If I raise the motor, 8 inches with nobody in the boat. If we hit water that shallow, we are wading the boat through. Otherwise, as far as the lower unit is concerned, I am ok driving a river, even a shallow one. I have lots of experience navigating rocky, shallow water - no problem there!

Lets nail down a date and a meeting place/launch site.

Getting the ball rolling is the first step, after that gravity will take over. :D

*feel free to move this to it's own appropriate thread as it seems I have hijacked yet another one. :oops:
MattC

Post by MattC »

I would definetly be intersted.
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
sparks63

Post by sparks63 »

Boats?

12.5 foot kayak
14.0 foot aluminum shallow semi-v...my small water/ river boat, 9.9 or 5hp outboard with fore and aft trolling motors
17.0 foot fiberglass fish/ski...use for the Illinois River and the cooling lakes, 95hp outboard with a bow mounted trolling motor

And yes, I am up for any outings!!

Scott