A weekend of creek fishing

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

A weekend of creek fishing

Post by Ken G »

This should run in Dale's Stray Casts on Wednesday.

The Facebook conversation with Bob that I put in here got even better today as a fly fisherman put up some long things challenging Bob's methods. I don't have time during the week to be on Facebook much, would have liked to have chimed in more. I'll be saving the whole conversation, might put it up here or in a post.
______

I continue to spend my time concentrating on creeks and got out to four different ones over the holiday weekend. With the exception of Blackberry Creek, where I spent 2.5 hours on Saturday, all other ventures were of the dine and dash variety. No more than an hour in any one location.

On the four creeks combined I caught 31 fish, the bulk being smallies and missed another 23. The creek that has me most concerned is Little Rock Creek. Last year the drought took a toll on this creek with a good mile of it drying up completely. This is far upstream in an area I like to fish, probably nine miles as the creek flows.

In spring I'm used to it being teeming with all types of fish. Usually by now it's a smallie, rock bass, creek chub gold mine. Even the pesky creek chubs I like to play with are gone. No minnows anywhere, saw two carp I wished I could bow shoot to get them out of there. I usually see a few varieties of suckers and even norther hogsuckers. Now, nothing, nothing, nothing.

If the rain doesn't stop this year I know the fish will make their way back up here, but it's still disheartening to see. I probably won't go back till fall. Let it recuperate.

On the way home on Monday, still in my waders, I thought I would stop at the Fox for a bit. Since I seem to be known for fishing the Fox, I thought I should at least try fishing it. I waded about a 100 foot stretch, took about 10 minutes and caught four smallies. That makes only 40 minutes on the Fox so far this year. The rest has been all creeks.

Got a call late Sunday morning from Bob Long, Jr. He took up Tenkara fishing last year, people will have to Google that if they don't know what it is, and he's been hitting creeks with it this year when he can. I gave him step-by-step details on how to get around Blackberry Creek. Late afternoon I wandered over to the creek and ran into him. Interesting conversation as always and got to play a bit with his Tenkara rod. The technique is really no different than what I do with spinning gear, only with a 12 foot rod and an equally long fixed length of line.

I asked that he send a fishing report. He put this up on Facebook.

From Bob, I love his way with words:

I ended up with about 20 fish. Most were smallmouth, but also got 3 channel cats, and one male bluegill. Worked about a 300 - 400 yard long section of the creek. Helluva hike and I won't attempt it in summer's heat and humidity. Also as a note, I also caught some of the fish down in the first two pools of the new section of stream repair. TENKARA! I am still working out the kinks, but I am fairly secure in how to do this in warm-water streams. All fish caught on 1/32 mini mite, glow white color with spikes.

When it comes to picking up a technique from someone or somewhere else (Tenkara style fly fishing and Japan, in this case - or drawing from canvases of The Masters [in art school]) one learns there is a difference between slavish imitation and homage.

Tenkara for smallmouth bass in Midwestern rivers, creeks and streams will look different - and should to some degree - than Tenkara fishing for small trout in mountain streams of Japan. There are many ways to "Honor" the paths our Masters have created. I hope I am doing so with my warm water explorations into Tankara.

Eeez fun way to feeesh.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com