8-21

If I lived anywhere near it, I wouldn't bother fishing anywhere else.
Norm Minas

8-21

Post by Norm Minas »

The river is about 3/4 it's normal flow, fairly clear, temps low 70's. My favorite stretches are full of broken off emerget veggies floating all over and algae on the bottom.

I went upstream to a more urban part of the river that doesn't have problems with floating weeds or algae on the bottom. I spent most of the time not catching fish on cranks, rattlebaits and spiinerbaits. I got a few mercy fish in the shade of a bridge tight to the pilings, not huge but a tug on the line. If it was out of the shade, no fish. I moved up to fish a bunch of boulders, only got one bass about 15 inches.

I decided to go back downstream and deal with the veggie mats. I hit a channel area downstream of a major riffle with a single spin and the numbers picked up but not the size, small bass 12 to 15 inch range twixt picking green.

I know there are bigger fish around there so I went old school and tossed a Pikie Minnow out in the channel For the next hour or so I picked green stuff except for the 5 smallmouth I caught. It was well worth as they were between 18 and 21 inches. Two of them grabbed the lure as soon as it hit the water and went airborne.

Great way to end the day.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: 8-21

Post by Ken G »

Looking at my gas budget, I've given up on the idea of getting to the Kankakee this year.

Hard to justify spending the money to go fishing when I can walk two blocks to the Fox.

The fishing has died up here everywhere I've been going except the first half mile up a creek and at their mouths.

The weeds and floating, coagulating mats of algae are awful. We need rain to give it all a good flushing.

Speaking of weeds, before the drought of 2005 we never had those long flowing weeds like the Kank and the DuPage. That year they took hold and now, especially from Montgomery to Yorkville, the stuff is everywhere. Good and bad, but the bad part is that algae piles up on them in mounds.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Fishin Musician

Post by Fishin Musician »

Ken and Norm I am having a problem getting motivated to get out at all with this extremely low water and weed and algae growth. My Achilles is still aching and every time I think of going out it does not seem worth the pain or effort. I guess from my standpoint if I had to miss a fishing season this one was the one to sit back and watch. I did do a boat trip up to the up and caught some nice largemouth and a few decent smallies and a ton of pike the biggest going 31 inches. I love the lack of humanity on these lakes, one day we were on a 10,000 acre and there was NO-ONE else on the water. I know fall fishing will be good for awhile , I am racking my mind to remember some easy wade able water close to some depth and current to get out for a bit...I am just not feeling it. Take care , kevin
I am Kevin Summers and I have a Fishin Addiction....
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

Bird Park Quarry or the Legion Park access across the river in the town of Kankakee. eagle island road off rte 17 twixt momence and aroma park.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

The weeds and algae have been a pain in the ass, but I haven't let it stop me.
Not much time at the moment is screwing things up. I think I may be missing the really good days. No time to just drop things and go.

The fish have been hitting pretty regularly, just no great numbers. This time of year I'm used to a few 50 fish days. Hasn't happened yet, but that my be my fault. I'd just go if I were you. Ice the heel when you get home, you'll be fine old man.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com