thursday evening

If I lived anywhere near it, I wouldn't bother fishing anywhere else.
Norm Minas

thursday evening

Post by Norm Minas »

By the time I got home last night , I was too tired to post. Here is last night's report.

The river is still low, flowing at less than 1/3 the normal flow. Kinda stained, water temps mid 80's, lots of weed clumps flowing.

I fished an area with basically a cobblestone bottom, varying sized water willow covered islands with two different channels cutting thru gradually sloping flats. The flats have areas with some larger rock piles and the usual assortment of humps and dips. There are some nice riffle areas including one large one that just about spans the entire river.

There was a bug hatch going on in the flats, dragon flies laying eggs on rooted emergent vegetation and a lot of birds dining on the bugs. The herons were still out feeding in the shallows.

Presentation wise it was real simple, chuck a rattlebait, work it fast enough to stay in the upper portion of the water column and hang on. It didn't make any difference if you tossed it up, acroos or down stream, the fish were feeding heavily. Many smaller fish in the 12 to 15 inch range with enough medium sized fish in the 15 to 18 inch range to keep a smile going.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .