Locations

If I lived anywhere near it, I wouldn't bother fishing anywhere else.
Ed79

Locations

Post by Ed79 »

So, my brother and I have been fishing quite a bit down in the state park. Really the only access we are aware of is at Warner St. Bridge, and obviously the State Park area. We've explored a lot of the water upstream from the bridge there. Still need to do some exploring downstream, but was looking for some suggestions on where else we can access the river and explore. Don't mind bushwacking a bit to get to some good water, and would be interested in meeting up to fish as well. Not looking for anyone's spots, just somewhere to safely park so we can get out and explore. :lol:

Now, for an update on fishing. Fishing has been pretty good, despite the heat. We were out a week ago(6-25), and again this Sunday. Caught a bunch of fish each time. A week ago we were out there when the flows were around 2800 or so. Sunday it was crawling along at around 1200.

On 6-25, we waded a good stretch from Warner St. Bridge upstream. Mostly hiked along the shore(ankle breaker rocks here) and then hopped in the water and worked our way downstream. We got to a nice current seam off of an island, and some riffles, and absolutely hammered the smallies for around 30 minutes. We caught 30+ smallies out of a single spot, without moving. We actually lost count after a while, and had several doubles during that stretch. They were voracious. Nothing of size(biggest maybe 12-13 inches) but it was an absolute blast. We moved around a bit and got into a few fish here and there before we left. Probably tied into 40-50 smallies between the two of us, in the 5 hours we were out there exploring the water. Not too bad.

Sunday, the water levels were WAY down, but we decided to hike down to the spot we tied into them last time. Well, it didn't disappoint. It wasn't as frantic as it was the other day, but we still left with around 25-30 between us. Again nothing over 12 inches, but fun regardless. Saw four other waders in the area that really limited the spots we could work.

Anyone else been out recently?
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Locations

Post by Ken G »

Park at hunting area 7, it's upstream of Warner Bridge. Hike the trail back down to the bridge and wade you're way back to area 7. Used to do it all the time. There are a couple of spots out in the middle you have to watch, but you'll feel them coming and just go off to the side. The river is low, so shouldn't be any problems.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Bob P.

Post by Bob P. »

Ken,
Don't mean to be nitpicky, but area 7 is about a mile downstream of Warner Bridge. Ed79, you can park at any of the hunting areas and walk the river. i believe it's about 5 river miles from area 2 at the east end of the park down to area 7 west of Warner Bridge. There are times i've parked along 102 and "hiked" in to various spots as well. Helps to keep you away from the multitudes a bit at times. Can relate to the numbers of 12 to 13"ers. If you hit it right, which you apparently did, they can be fun at least catching them rapid fire like that. Good luck to anyone fishing in this heat and be extra careful. It's potentially dangerous out there.

Tight lines,

Bob P.
Norm Minas

Post by Norm Minas »

all sorts of public access areas on the river outside of the many in the K3 state park or Des Plaines Conservation Area. City parks and County forest preserve areas pull offs on roads skirting the river. hit up the local governing units for maps/access info. get a Del Lorme Atlas Gazzetter or Will and K3 county maps Mullady's Sportsman's letter map and Fishing hot spots maps both show acceess prolly get them from Nick at the Trading Post.
What a long, strange trip it still is .

Put a glide in your stride, a dip in your hip and come onto the mother ship .
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

A mile takes me about 5 hours if I'm just cruising. All day if I take my time and pick things apart.

You could just pick apart the whole area at 7. I've done that too.

Like Norm says, lots of access. I just don't get down there anymore.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com