Powderhorn Lake

This would include any of the lagoons in Chicago if anyone is fishing them.
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Powderhorn Lake

Post by amason »

I fish here from time to time since it's close to work, but it rarely produces for me. If you look at the contour map, you'll see that it's only 4 or 5' deep from about shore to 30 or so feet in. If you have a boat I'm sure you can target lots of different fish in the deeper spots in the center of the lake, but I don't have a boat. I've waded here twice now, and today went pretty well. At the edge of the 4 or 5' depth there is a bed of plants that grow almost around the entire lake. You can't throw anything with a treble hook as it gets instantly snagged.

Today was decently windy, with a north westerly wind making a small chop on the water. Not too windy to fish but a lot to cast into. I worked around the north shore of the lake casting south and westward today with a wacky rigged senko and wasn't having any success. There was a family of swans preening themselves with two juveniles, one white and one grey, but beyond that, there wasn't much to see. I debated with myself about leaving and hitting another spot when fish started hitting the top of the water. I ditched the senko for a floating heddon silver zara spook that I found on another outing earlier this year. I haven't caught anything with it yet since I found it, but I also haven't done much, if any, top water fishing. I thought I would be able to use the light chop to give the retrieve a little more action.

I stood as close to the line of weeds as I could and was getting long casts with the wind assist. The only hit I had of the day crushed that spook and sent my drag screaming. It was easily the largest bass I've caught this year and if the batteries in my scale weren't dead I could tell you more than it was 19" long.

Fun fish to catch, even if it was the only one of the day.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Powderhorn Lake

Post by Ken G »

I'm surprised they let you walk around in the water. Did that a few times at DuPage County FPs and got shagged out every time. No wading ponds and lakes allowed.

It was the only way to get to the fish without a boat, like you said.

If you're only going to catch one, that's a nice one to catch.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
amason
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Powderhorn Lake

Post by amason »

I checked every sign and there wasn't anything posted about no wading. I hate feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm fishing.