Reward from the Fish Gods

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
GreatfulDad

Reward from the Fish Gods

Post by GreatfulDad »

After a forlorn ride home from an early morning assault on the high and dirty Mazon...I called to whine with my oldest fishing pal Doc. He jubilantly shared his early morning victory on the Fox near Oswego. He's been fishing this area for 60 years and knows all the riffles and rocks. He threw a Murdich Minnow on the banks and was rewarded with 9 fish...some of good size. He said "the water has finally warmed and the river has turned on."

Taking that to heart...and knowing how hard I tried to get him and my brother Dave some fish last week on a float from Yorkville to Silver Springs...I ventured out about 2:30 to my beloved but fickle Fox. After moving one fish on a yellow popper, I still felt the visibility was an issue...and with the water level looking pretty low...I switched to a 1/32 oz jig and small white twister tail...my all-time favorite bait. It can swim slowly and most importantly...I believe in it! Much to my great pleasure...Doc was right. The river had turned on. The weekend's warmth had brought my lazy brown Fox to life.

In 2 1/2 hours I caught 18 fish.

Some were where I expected and others surprised me. I need to share that in the heat and light of the day I caught 10 fish under a bridge without hardly moving a foot. I had had luck there before and believe I know why they were there. Much to my amazement...I need to share this...I caught 7 or 8 fish...well not fish really...more like fry or fingerlings...right before the bridge. I mean little...as little as I've ever caught in the Fox. I didn't count them as fish actually. Are these possibly the new crop from this year...who is our resident pescatorial historian? I believe these little fingerlings were being attacked by voraciously feeding adults under the bridge where everyone was enjoying the shade.

What I really need to point out is...ALL of the various size fish were...FAT...and I mean FAT! these boys have not missed a meal all spring it looked like. Different than any other year...FAT. Combining that with a healthy new crop of babies I would say I need to take back the words I wrote last week about the horrible color and visibility of the water on our float.

Yes, I was disgusted by the shmutz I had to clean off my drift boat at the end of the day. Yes, I worked hard pushing the boat down river into the wind all day on a slow stretch of water. What hurt the most was wanting Doc to have a good day of fishing as he had the true smell of SKUNK on him all spring.

What The Fox taught me ...again...was that she does have her moods...she does punish you...and reward you...when SHE wants. You simply cannot will her to be good to you. Period.

These beautiful greenbacks...ours are not bronze...they match our water...have adapted to all the insidious detergents and chemicals of all varieties of shit we have thrown at them over the years...and are thriving under the right conditions. Mr Darwin may have an insight after all...and not just on Galapagos. Yes, I accidentally left my waders in the car last night...and yes, my car smells this morning...how do I gently say...aromatically. Tragically sad but true...

I may take the time to venture down to Montgomery this day to honor the man who made a passionate personal effort beyond the posthumous honor that sits in a park on the east side of the river. If you were not aware of its existence...it does exist. Years ago I read the story about the science teacher who after his death was honored by his friend and fellow teacher who knew of his dedication and effort to save our precious Fox. It is a large stone with a plaque telling his story.

I'd like to suggest that we find a good time to all meet there sometime soon...maybe with guitars, spirits and belief that one person can...and did...make a difference. I salute his effort today because the Fox has given me more good times than any man deserves. I beg her forgiveness today for my impatience and my impatience...and my impatience.

God bless The Fox...and The Fox! :)