Smallmouth Bass must be Right Handed

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Smallmouth Bass must be Right Handed

Post by Ken G »

Or right finned?

Took the stroll in the Fox below my house on Tuesday. Odd how I never fish this stretch. I think the main reason is that the Fox is different down this way. More areas that can be a challenge. I found that out about this stretch around 10 years ago. I think I only fish along here once or twice a year.

First smallie on, easily 18 inches if not bigger. As soon as I touched it's lower lip, the jig shot out of its mouth and embedded in one of my fingers. Dropped the fish. Luckily it didn't go in past the barb.

Found this soon after. Tied it on and got bored with it after three casts. Went back to the jig.

Only other hit was another smallie that pushed the 18 inch mark. I've always wondered why when you lip them their tails curl to the right. Makes for short looking fish in arms length shots.

So I turned it around.

Then set him free.

The end of the stroll this time was the mouth of the ravine that runs past my house. Always has a little bit of water running through it. Flowers that normally are just starting to bloom are few now, they're already dying off.

There is one deeper spot that had a bunch of small creek chubs tugging away at the tail of the twister. Then I noticed the spawning beds.

A little hard to make out, but you should be able to see them. I'm assuming creek chub redds, can't imagine anything else bothering to come up this small trickle of water.

If any of you want to do a death march some day, this would be a good stretch. I know about the next half mile down. A couple of tough spots, but not impossible. It's the hike back. Haven't figured out a way to the railroad tracks yet, there are a few homes along one shore.

Introductions may be in order soon.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com