Dupage Report 3/18 & 3/19

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Dupage Report 3/18 & 3/19

Post by Frank Macikas »

Well this season started off great for me! I got out all day Friday and Saturday afternoon. Friday was cloudy windy and cold; Saturday was a beautiful afternoon. Water clarity is pretty good with most sections at 3-4 ft. Levels are perfect for wading (prior to todays rain).

Friday started off with me fishing the Aux Sable creek at Rt 6 for the first time. It looks like it could be a great creek but no bites at all. Tried both plastics and drifting minnows but no takers but this a place I am definitely looking forward to exploring some more. This creek actually reminds me alot of the Dupage.

After not getting any bites at all I headed to the Dupage in Plainfield around 10 or 11am. I was going to start at Electric Park but when I pulled into the lot I saw two fisherman had beat me to it so I had a quick chat and moved to another spot further up river. I started off drifting medium roaches with a split shot and it paid off. I picked up a 16.5" smallie pretty quickly before heading up river a little further and picking up another 14" & 13.5" all on minnows.

After I ran out of roaches we headed back downstream to fish a slower deeper flat below a wing dam. I started off by throwing a jig and power craw, then a xrap both with no luck. I then tied on a rebel craw and first cast BOOM! A nice fat 17.25" smallie!!

After this one I managed two more; a 13.5" and a 11" both on a rebel craw out of the same hole. All fish on Friday were absolutely CRUSHING the bait and fighting hard!

Saturday was a much nicer day weather wise but not when it came to fishing. This day I headed down to Hammel Woods which is one of my favorite late spring and summer stretches. I only managed two fish in the 3 hours I fished one 14" and a 12" both of which barely put up any type of fight whatsoever. Both these fish were taken on drifting medium roaches with a split shot. They came in eddies next to faster moving water.

All in all a PERFECT way to start the 2011 season!!!!
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Dupage Report 3/18 & 3/19

Post by Ken G »

I almost took the trip to the Plainfield area on Saturday, but opted for a Fox creek closer to home.

Should have gone east.

Nice report Frank.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Ken G wrote:I almost took the trip to the Plainfield area on Saturday, but opted for a Fox creek closer to home.

Should have gone east.

Nice report Frank.
Ken if you are ever headed to the Dupage and want someone to fish with you give me a call. It turned out to be a great weekend!
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Rebel craws are hands down my most productive bait on the Duper. I've had 40 fish days out there with those wonderful baits. Makes a lot of sense. That river is LOADED with crawdads. It's hard not to step on them in some areas. Good job. How were the water temps? Still frigid?
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Ed79 wrote:Rebel craws are hands down my most productive bait on the Duper. I've had 40 fish days out there with those wonderful baits. Makes a lot of sense. That river is LOADED with crawdads. It's hard not to step on them in some areas. Good job. How were the water temps? Still frigid?

Yeah the water is still very cold. Stopped by electric park today and the river is up and dirty but doesnt look too bad but I still opted to check out the spillway area on the Mazon instead since my gear was at home in Channahon. Was a little leary as last time I was there someone slashed my tire but couldnt resist. Drifted minnows and tried a couple crank baits but no luck. Forgot my jigs and plastics so thats all I tried. Water levels are higher than I've fished there but thats not saying much; first time I fished that river was last summer and it was SUPER low. Still was a good day to get out on the water and clear my head!