Hickory creek

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
smallmouthfisher
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Hickory creek

Post by smallmouthfisher »

So.. Here is one of my posts sorry I been gone but time is crazy right now.. Been working and planning a wedding and buying a townhouse.. but enjoy..

So I have been super busy these days. I have not been post at all but does not mean I am not fishing. So something crossed my mind.. You all say I catch bait... so I put them together.. I use my fly rod and fly fish and if I catch what you guys call "bait" I put it in my floating minnow bucket and work my way to the holes. Now once I get to the holes I hook my "Bait" and let it swim freely in the water... then I watch these fish tear it to shreds. Now I find this a bit alarming but also quite fascinating and educational. I do notice once the smallies get the "bait" the spit it out and take it in head first. I never noticed this but since watching this my hook ups for big smallies on the fly have increased. But hope you enjoy and thanks for the idea guys...
The "Bait" I am using is from 7-12inches...

LOL

Ed79

Re: Hickory creek

Post by Ed79 »

Hah, that's awesome man. I hear ya on being too busy to fish. Really sucks, but the best fishing is just coming up.
Bill C.

Re: Hickory creek

Post by Bill C. »

Using the natural forage of a stream is a great method,I know several people that have caught their largest smallies doing just what you are doing.Three years ago a friend of mine got the biggest smallie that I have seen come out of Hickory Creek using a chub he had just caught.It went 19 inches.I have seen the same thing on the Apple River.