Mazonia South Unit - Monster

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
Ed79

Mazonia South Unit - Monster

Post by Ed79 »

Took the boat out on Monster yesterday with my dad. First time out there, and I gotta say, not bad. Took us a while to figure it out, but once we did, we caught some fish. We got around 15 largemouth bass, around 10 yellow bass(they have the broken lines on their side, right?) and around 20 bluegill. I actually took home a handful of bluegill and one of the bigger yellow bass for a little lunch. Probably cook them up today and see how they taste. Overall, pretty good day, and not a bad little lake, especially considering how hot it was.

It is amazing how deep these pits get... A large majority of the water we went through near the ramp was 40-60 ft. deep. We ended up catching everything roughly 10 feet off shore, in around 20 feet of water, on a variety of different baits. I threw some tiny flukes for the yellow bass, threw some twisters, senkos, frenzys and tubes for the bass, and we caught all the bluegills on small pieces of nightcrawler, on jigheads, or under a small float. I actually caught 4-5 bucketmouths on the tiny flukes, which was surprising. I'd be willing to bet if you came here with a bucket of crappie minnows, you could have a great time. It seems like EVERYTHING was hitting the tiny flukes. The baitfish population in this lake was ridiculous too. We were driving through sections where the bait was almost jumping into the boat. :lol:
Rob P
Troublemaker
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: Mazonia South Unit - Monster

Post by Rob P »

I love monster and pondo.
Easy to fish and hardly any traffic.

Where else can you go <1 hr from home to fish and see deer and hear turkeys..

Sounds like you had a very good day!

Maybe in a few weeks we'll drop the boat in there..
See the world before its gone!
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

Yeah, how about later this month, say the 25th? :D
ThunderStick aka Paul
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Rob P wrote:I love monster and pondo.
Easy to fish and hardly any traffic.

Where else can you go <1 hr from home to fish and see deer and hear turkeys..

Sounds like you had a very good day!

Maybe in a few weeks we'll drop the boat in there..
It was really nice. The only downside is the shitty ass construction on I-55 and I-80. I would defnitely hit up Mazonia more if not for that. The bluegill was excellent by the way.... :)
Rob P
Troublemaker
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Rob P »

I'm east of I55 off I-80 in Orland so it was ~35 minutes door to ramp.
Now i need to go backroads thru Joliet.

That i-55 mess seems to never end.
See the world before its gone!