Naperville 9/11 and Plainfield 9/12 *Pics Added*

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Naperville 9/11 and Plainfield 9/12 *Pics Added*

Post by Frank Macikas »

It was a pretty good weekend. I fished the West Branch in the north part of Naperville a little south of Ogden on Saturday afternoon and did my favorite 6 mile float through Plainfield with my buddy Alex. I have been wanting to try this spot in Naperville for a few years now; I used to live about 500 yds from this spot but moved before I starting fishing rivers. First it is amazing in the difference of clarity between these two sections. the west branch was around 6" clarity and water was more the color of the Fox River. I did manage 3 smallies and a largemouth at the spot in Naperville. All on the wacky rigged stickworm and all in deeper water tight to bridge supports. 2 of the smallies were between 15 & 16".

The section from Plainfield was a little higher than normal and still pretty dirty but when we first put the pontoons in but once we got a mile or two down river the clarity was crystal clear.This stretch would get me 11 smallies and 4 largemouth and 6 smallies for Alex. Alex did have two 17" smallies and my best was a little over 15". Most fish were taken tight to laydowns near deep water; especially the bigger fish. Baits for the bigger fish were worked fast near the top right through or next to the wood. Flukes and a new creature bait I havent used before called a Mighty Bug took the bigger fish. Other fish were caught on wacky rigged stickworms, chigger craws or plastic helgramites.

Weather was great and most of the fish were pretty aggressive. I cant wait to get back out this coming weekend. I love fishing the month of September the weather is perfect! I will get a few pics up tonight; can't get that done at work ;)