8/18/10 Big Rock

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

8/18/10 Big Rock

Post by Ken G »

My catch to hit ratio was 1 to 6. Only landed one. That means I haven't been out for over a week and I've briefly lost my touch.

The stretch I fished is addictive even though ever since the flood of September 2008 it hasn't produced like it used to. That's when this area was completely altered by the high water. I don't even get creek chubs. But it's quiet and somewhat secluded the further down you go and I think that's what keeps bringing me here.

I also think I'm waiting for the fishing to improve. It has to sooner or later, but I think that may be it for this stretch this year. I'll wait till later, next year some time.

It's odd. I think I mentioned it in a previous post. It's like all the fish turn left to go up Little Rock Creek instead of heading up Big Rock. On Little Rock I do much better on all species and it's next to impossible to keep the chubs and rock bass off your hook. When you look at the two creeks, there's no discernible difference. They look identical. But there is something about Big Rock that the fish no longer like.

I just can't pin point what that is.

The mosquitoes are horrible. Deep Woods Off barely kept them at bay. Don't go out without dousing yourself and don't use the stuff with less Deet. It seems to attract them and they will suck you dry if given the chance.

I didn't bother taking a picture of the one fish, wasn't all that interesting. These pics probably aren't either. But the one shot of the tree in the water was the easy tree to get under. There are new trees blocking the way all down the creek. Good for me because it always seems that anglers won't bother trying to figure out how to get past them.

Last bumped by Ken G on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com