Mazon, Vermilion, or Mackinaw

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
Frank Macikas

Mazon, Vermilion, or Mackinaw

Post by Frank Macikas »

Im dying to get out and fish so Im trying to plan a float trip on the pontoon this weekend. Two of my buddys just picked up the same things and since everything else is blown out AGAIN were looking to do a float trip on the Mazon. Have also been considering Vermillion or Mackinaw too. If anyone could help me out with where we could put in and take out at any of the three I would greatly appreciate it. We would be looking to do mabye a 3 to 5 mile strectch.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Mazon, Vermilion, or Mackinaw

Post by Ken G »

Two of the three you mentioned are the ones that are actually at low flow that I've checked. ;)

This site is a pain to figure out, but scroll down and click on Illinois. Don't forget the Little Vermilion. They give all the put in and take out points. Water levels you'll have to figure out on your own.

http://www.riverfacts.com/

You might also want to give the woman that owns this a call and see what she recommends for the Mazon. I know if you start at her spot and can get across the Illinois, you can go up the Mazon from the mouth. She might be willing to part with info if you're nice to her.

http://www.kayakmorris.com/Home_Page.php

Then right there is the old I & M canal. Might be worth a look.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Thanks Ken! I think Im going to give her a call tomorrow and see if shes willing to part with any information. The only problem with starting where she is at is getting this thing across the Illinois with the boats out there. This thing does not move quick at all. Basically its really good for a slow drift but not for paddling. Coming down river would be ok but there is no way this thing would be able to go up river; at least not very far and especially in current. The more I look at the satelite maps the vermilion and little vermilion are looking like where I may explore. I think I might head out Saturday and check out some bridges for put ins to see if I can get the boat in and out and do some wading at the same time. An hour or hour and a half drive to fish and explore is still better than a 3hr trip to the Mack with no knowledge at all.
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

The Mazon, at the flow listed, would be a waste of time for the most part. Unless you put in further downstream towards the Illinois where the deeper cuts of the river are. Much of the Mazon that we normally fish(near spillway), will be no more than 6-12 inches deep right now. You will need to hit the deeper stretches and hope for the best with that kind of flow. Pretty amazing that, with all the rain we've had over the last week, the Mazon is still EXTREMELY low. Normal for that river is around 100-150 CFS, and it is around 1/4 that... It barely moved with all that rain. There is actually a rain gauge on the Mazon as well, and it seems like most of the rain over the last week has missed them. Crazy.... and unfortunate. I was hoping to fish the Mazon, but with it being as low as it is, it's mostly a waste.
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

I've decided to give the vermilion a try at Mathieson tomorrow not sure yet about the float trip for Sunday that may have to wait.
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

I've wanted to do the Mack ever since Husar wrote a glowing article about it 15-20 (?) years ago. Still havent made it yet.
ThunderStick aka Paul
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

SInce the Dupage is high yet again I went to Mathessien State Park today with a friend. We didnt get out there until around 1pm and fished roughly to 5pm. Rough day due to a really late night, being dehydrated and forgeting the water in the car; it was HOT in that canyon. We each managed around a dozen smallies each (I really should start keeping track and keep notes). Most were dinks with a few 10-12 inchers in between. Most were caught with helgramites and chigger craws. Right when I told my buddy I wanted to call it a day and start walking back I picked this one up which estimate was around 17-18 inches. Picked up I think one more on the way to the car but that was it. Going back tomorrow with two friends I fish with every Sunday. I'll keep ya posted.

Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Went back on Sunday and had a pretty good day. 3 more quality fish and one very nice one that broke off all on topwater too. It has been a long time since I have fished topwater and it is as exciting as I remember. I made a mistake I have been trying to get away from which is forgeting to set my drag after trying to pull a snag out. I use fireline and was fishing a chug bug when I had my first strike; I went to set the hook and SNAP. That fished was jumping out of the water for the next 30+ mins trying to shake that lure and you could hear the ratlle clear as day everythime. I then switched to a heddon pop'n image and picked up 3 more the best around 16 or 17". My buddies were too far away to help out with a pic so I tried to do the best that I could on my own. That would be it for me that day.