Fishing Flood Waters

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Fishing Flood Waters

Post by Frank Macikas »

Dupage is the highest I think its been since I started fishing it. Gauges are now over 4200cfs and 250 is pretty normal for this time of year. I will not go anywhere near the current but I got a call from a friend today who told me some of the parks and access rds we park at are now underwater and I am thinking that these may be holding fish? Wouldnt the fish come to these flooded areas to get out of the current? Im thinking about going to Electric park tomorrow after work and fishing the parking lot. Im interested in your guy's thoughts on this.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Fishing Flood Waters

Post by Ken G »

There's only one way to find out . . .
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
smallmouthfisher
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by smallmouthfisher »

When the dupage flooded last year really bad area I fish was all under water. But the part wasnt.. I was using top water frogs. Hitting trees breaks and picnic table breaks and I landed 3 smallies
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Thanks Sam; Looks like my kids are staying by their moms tonight so I can fish. I have two spots in mind to try; I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

Made it Weigand Park around 5:30 and fished until around 7:30. I dont need to tell you conditions; everyone knows its flooded. That section is flowing at 1780 cfs and at normal stages its around 100. I did manage to pick up two largemouth dragging a chigger craw slowly up the submerged gravel path that leads down to the river (first pic). It may have been the same fish but the second one seemed a little bigger but not sure; I'll let you decide. Have a couple other spots I want to try so maybe tomorrow after work. Here are some pics:

Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

Holy SHIT. That has to be the highest the river has been in a long, LONG time. Not the same fish, btw. Totally different coloring.