Mazon & Dupage 7/10

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

Mazon & Dupage 7/10

Post by Frank Macikas »

My buddy Chris and I waded the Mazon for the first time this weekend then a few spots on the Dupage. We made it on the water around 730 and fished until around 8pm. Picked up around 20+ fish each in total; all smallies and rockies. Visability on the Mazon was only around 6 inches or so. I always thought this river was supposed to be alot clearer so I'm thinking maybe the rain earlier in the week stained it up some. The section we were fishing was deeper than I expected as well. Most of the strectch was around chest deep in the main current; I expected much shallower water. When we started fishing I was not prepared. I forgot my box of cranks in the car so only threw plastics. We did see a pretty big gar probably around 36" or so but spooked it as soon as I saw it. I was able to hit a few spots on the Dupage afterwards from Channahon to Plainfield. This river was in excellent shape. It was running a little higher than normal but very clear and actually nice for this time of year. Met up with AJ from another site and fishing was great with quite a few smallies and rock bass. Most fish were on the edge of deeper water and current. I picked up a few mostly on jig and helgie and AJ picked up a few on I thnk an inline spinner. First time we have fished together and a great guy! Headed to another spot afterward and met up with another friend and his son. we picked up a few more but it was pretty slow. Figures right after I left they picked up around 6 more smallies within about a half hour. Doesnt look like the storms last night did much damage, the flow and height is up a little from yesterday but nothing terrible. Had a great weekend and got to fish with quite a few different friends both new and old. Cant beat that!