7/2 Report - Hammel Woods

East and West Branches plus the main stem, not much to look at sometimes, but an astonishing fishery.
Frank Macikas

7/2 Report - Hammel Woods

Post by Frank Macikas »

Well after what has felt like years I finally got back out on the river today. The river is in great shape right now. Fished one of my favorite areas in Shorewood (Hammel Woods) today. Water was a little higher than usual for this time of year but thats good. Visibility is between 12 & 25 inches depending on the stretch. Picked up around 10 or 11 smallies today. Nothing of great size; the normal summer smallie; most around 10-12". I almost forgot what it feels like catching summer smallies. Those little guys sure put up a heck of a fight. Each fish I caught kept thinkin "alright this is it prob a 15 or 16 inch fish!" Then it comes up and I was suprised almost every time. Fish were either caught tight to cover next to fast water or right in the current. Picked up most on a wacky rigged dinger and I think three of them on a chigger craw on a weedless jig. Best color was june bug or pumpkin with blue flake. River has changed alot in this section and it looks like it will be for the better. With rain forecast for everyday next week I would suggest taking advantage if you can. I thought I had my inflatable pontoon all fixed up and ready to go for a float trip tomorrow but I shouldnt have waited until tonight to double check everyhting cause it looks like I have some more work to do to get it together. It will probably have to wait until sunday now so tomorrow will be wading again.